This nutty and delicious banana bread is a favourite alternative to cereal and toast in our home. We like it gently warmed, spread with real butter or topped with yoghurt and berries. It's a nourishing, gluten-free way to break a fast.
A healthy and delicious breakfast bread.
The original recipe comes from one of my favourite cookbooks, The Art of Nourishing, by Therese Steele, a local author who lives in a picturesque valley not far from me. My version is adapted from her original recipe. This is how I make it:
Breakfast Banana Bread
3 ripe bananas
1/3 cup macadamia nut oil
1/4 cup raw honey
1 egg, separated
1/4 cup milk
1 cup gluten free flour (I use Kialla's Non Gluten Grain Flour)
3/4 cup almond meal
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to moderate (180C) and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Peel bananas and place in a food processor along with all the other ingredients except
the egg white. Blend these ingredients together thoroughly.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until frothy, soft peaks form.
4. Gently fold the frothy egg white through the blended mixture.
5. Pour mixture into your loaf tin and bake until golden (about 40minutes).
Loaf should spring back when pressed gently in the centre.
6. Turn out of loaf tin and cool on a wire rack.
7. Slice and serve warm. Spread with real butter or top with yoghurt and berries. Yum!
A thick slice of early morning goodness.
This bread is quick and easy to prepare. After it has cooled, and everyone has enjoyed a piece, I cut the remainder of the loaf into slices and freeze them for another morning. Simple!
p.s. More about Therese Steele's cookbook can be found at this link for her cookbook. There are a couple of sample recipes at this website, including one for a gluten-free bread.
p.p.s. I have also made this loaf using spelt flour. If using spelt, the loaf is no longer gluten free but equally delicious:)