Would you fancy a just-out-of-the-oven warm muffin for a light lunch? Would it be even better if filled with sweet chunks of roasted pumpkin, creamy feta and little flecks of chives? These savoury muffins combine my favourite vegetable with one of my favourite cheeses. They are so moist and moreish though so you might have trouble stopping at just one!
This is how I made them:
Pumpkin, Feta and Chive Muffins
1 cup of unbleached white spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
150g leftover roasted pumpkin, cold and cubed
90g firm feta, cubed
1 tablespoon, chopped chives
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to moderate. Prepare muffin tray by greasing or using paper muffin cases.
2. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
3. Add pumpkin, feta and chives and mix lightly.
4. Whisk milk, olive oil and egg together in a separate bowl or jug.
5. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and mix until just combined.
6. Place scoops of muffin mixture into prepared tray or cases.
7. Bake until risen and lightly golden on top.
8. Cool only slightly before serving with a salad.
Pumpkin and feta ... a moreish match!
I would offer you one but they are all gone!