Wednesday 18 January 2017

A Garden Visitor 8

I heard this fuzzy little fellow before I saw him! Working industriously in our star jasmine, buzzing noisily and so very quickly from one flower to the next, was this very fluffy little bee.

Teddy Bear Bee in flight.

He is an Australian native Teddy Bear Bee (Amegilla bombiformis). My photo is somewhat blurry because this bee is notoriously tricky to photograph. No sooner did I have it in focus and it buzzed off! If you'd like to see much clearer and beautiful photos of this adorable native bee, you can visit this Aussie Bee website.

Teddy Bear Bees are one of Australia's native solitary bees. They are so called because of their golden 'fur'  that resembles that of a teddy bear. They are buzz pollinators, like Blue-Banded Bees, meaning they can take hold of a flower and 'shake' it through vibration to release the pollen inside. Amazing!

This was the first time I have seen one of these special little native bees in our garden. It feels a wonderful thing because, like many other native animals, these bees need habitat and food sources. It's a lovely thing to think that the garden we are growing here provides that for these tiny and very important creatures.

12 comments:

  1. How fortunate that you were in the right place at the right time. I've never seen a Teddy Bear bee in my garden, but I am lucky enough to see a Blue Banded bee occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very lucky indeed, Jan. I hope I will get to see him again:) We will often see the Blue Banded Bee too. They are so pretty with those distinct blue stripes. Meg:)

      Delete
  2. Meg, I must keep an eye out for them. I haven't seen as many bees as we usually have as a lot of the flowering plants have been dug up by the wretched chooks or have died from the heat. A situation I hope will be remedied ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This heat is definitely challenging for gardens and gardeners too, Nanna Chel. I'm sorry you've lost a lot of your flowering plants. I'm sure the bees miss them as much as you! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of them, how precious and special to have one in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cute! They really do look quite "fluffy" like a teddy bear. I've read that this bee makes a burrow in soil for a nest. I hope this one lives close by so that I get to see it again. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Oh aren't they cute? Just like a teddy bear, all yellow and fluffy. Native to your area, but sadly not here in South Australia. Great photo catch Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sally. I was thrilled to spot him! He was rather fluffy and tubby so easy to see how they got the name. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meg,

    I have come across teddy bear bees here where we live. They were on one of our native emu bushes when they were flowering, and yes they are tricky to try and photograph. They are cute chubby little bees and I haven't checked to see if they are still around. I might go for a wander tomorrow and have a look :)

    You did well to take a pic of him :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find one! I haven't seen this little fellow again but there was been a Blue-banded Bee working away in the salvia yesterday morning. We tend to see them quite regularly here. They are hard to photograph too! Meg:)

      Delete
  7. The color of the bee looks super! I have not seen him before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are like little golden flying fluffballs ... it's so easy to see why they are named after teddy bears. Do you have native bees visiting your place? Meg:)

      Delete