Homemade ice pops! Is there anything better on hot Summer days? When everyone is sweltering, these are a most welcome, icy-cool treat.
These homemade treats are delicious and they are also healthier. Rather than the dubious artificial flavours, colours and preservatives found in many commercially produced pops, these have familiar, easily recognised ingredients. Simple!
This is how I make them:
Homemade Chocolate Pops
2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons raw cacao (or 3 Tablespoons cocoa)
2 Tablespoons cornflour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter
1. Mix cornflour with a little of the milk until blended to a smooth slurry.
2. Add milk, honey, cacao (or cocoa) and vanilla to a medium sized saucepan.
3. Whisk in cornflour slurry.
4. Add the butter to the milky mixture.
5. Heat mixture gently, over low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens. (Do not boil.)
6. Allow this custardy mixture to cool somewhat.
(If a 'skin' forms on top of the mixture, carefully pour it through a fine sieve.)
7. Carefully transfer mixture to a heatproof pouring jug.
8. Pour mixture into ice pop moulds and cap each one.
9. Freeze for several hours until set.
There's nothing like homemade treats!
Enjoy ... and don't forget to catch the drips!