Filled with the goodness of fresh eggs, grated or leftover veggies, tasty bacon or ham and a little flavoursome cheese, mini quiches are a great bite-sized lunchbox, picnic or weekend-at-home snack. I make them often!
A batch of mini quiches ... bacon and zucchini OR leftover roasted pumpkin. Yum!
These little quiches are quick, easy and versatile. To the eggy filling you can add, in any combination you like, some grated zucchini, kernels of corn, diced capsicum, chunks of leftover roasted vegetables, thin slices of tangy tomato, some cubes of bacon or a little ham and/or a scattering of chives or some spring onion. A sharp, tasty cheese like Parmesan, grated and sprinkled on top, gives them an inviting golden topping too.
Just out of the oven ...
Little Mini Quiches
2 sheets ready-made Puff Pasty
4 large eggs
2-3 Tablespoons pouring cream
a selection of some fresh or leftover veggies, as suggested above, grated or diced/chopped
2 rashers bacon or 2 slices ham, chopped to small size
a twist or two of black pepper
grated tasty or Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to temperature recommended on puff pastry packaging.
2. Defrost puff pastry sheets and cut each one into 9 smaller squares.
3. Line each muffin hole, in non-stick silicone muffin pans, with a square of pastry.
(Alternately, you can place each pastry square on a slightly larger square of non-stick
baking paper, and then line each muffin hole.)
5. Mixed in your choice of grated, chopped fillings except for the cheese.
6. Transfer eggy mixture to a large pouring jug and 3/4 fill each pastry-lined muffin hole.
7. Sprinkle grated cheese on top of each little unbaked quiche.
8. Carry carefully to the oven (I place my silicone muffin pans on baking trays before I fill
them otherwise I find I can't move the pans without the eggy mixture spilling over.)
9. Bake until the egg is cooked through and the cheese is golden on top.
10. Allow to cool a little before devouring!
A homemade and scrumptious snack.
These scrumptious little snacks quickly become lunch or dinner with the addition of a simple salad and some fresh bread. Enjoy!