Saturday 12 August 2017

Simple Cereal Slice

Another weekend ... another simple slice! Just a few basic ingredients, together with crushed wheat breakfast biscuits (and the saved crumbs from the bottom of the cereal packet) is all you need to make this Simple Cereal Slice. Afternoon tea will be ready in a jiffy!


Squares of Simple Cereal Slice.

This is another slice my Mum would make often and that I learned to cook as a young girl. The recipe comes from my well-used copy of "Day to Day Cookery" with a few of my 'adjustments' here and there. Here's how I made it:

Simple Cereal Slice

1 cup flour (white spelt or plain)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 wheat breakfast biscuits + saved crumbs from bottom of cereal packet)
1 cup dessicated coconut
1/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
150g melted butter

1.   Preheat oven to 180C. Line a slice tray.

2.   Sift flour and baking powder together into a mixing bowl.

3.  Crush wheat breakfast biscuits under a rolling pin until fine crumbs. Add to mixing bowl.

4.   Mix coconut and brown sugar in to other dry ingredients.

5.   Melt butter over gentle heat in small saucepan. 

6.   Make well in centre of dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and pour in melted butter.

7.  Mix until slice ingredients well combined.

8.   Press mixture firmly into bottom of slice tray.

9.   Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned.

10. Cool before icing. (You can make a simple lemon icing or melt a little white chocolate to
      spread over the top.)

11. Cut your slice into fingers and share with everyone ☺

This is such a quick and easy slice to make. It's great too for using up those crumbs left in the bottom of the cereal packet that may otherwise go to waste. A little icing too and something quite plain like this becomes quite delicious. 

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Meg










9 comments:

  1. I have lots of crumbs left to use up as my son doesn't like eating those for some reason. I normally eat them so as not to waste them but using them in a slice is a good idea. Thanks Meg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband likes his Weebix, Chel, so we always have crumbs that we can use up. Meg:)

      Delete
  2. I love these recipes and perfect for kids to take to school too. Ingredients which are always here. Our son is the opposite. He has a huge bowl of weetbix every morning and says the crumbs are the best bit. He crushes his weetbix so I guess it saves him time.
    Thanks for the recipe which I'll be making with lemon icing.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be lovely with a lemon icing, Kylie. I often just melt a bit of chocolate for the top as I don't usually have icing sugar on hand. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that recipe too Meg and have made it quite a bit in the past as my husband really enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make it every now and again, Sherri, but when I do it disappears very quickly! Meg:)

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of this one Meg! My husband is a big weetbix eater too and he never wants to eat the bits left at the bottom. Usually the chooks end up with them, I think the chooks will be missing out from now on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's simple and yummy, Belinda. I will often save up the crumbs, in a glass jar, until I'm ready to make it. Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Yum I could do with a slice of that myself with a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete