Saturday 17 March 2018

Saturday Snippets

Saturday, that precious beginning-of-the-weekend day, has dawned here with a clear blue sky and a slight breeze.  All is very quiet here though I fully expect someone will start up a mower sometime soon! (The grass is growing very enthusiastically after all the rain we've had!) My beautiful boy and his Dad headed off to cricket early this morning and left Sir Steve dog and I happily mooching around here at home. It feels already like a gentle, slow day that will unfold in ordinary moments and home-work of a kind that lets contentment settle in. Here's a snippet of what I think I might do today:

 Make lovely lemon curd from these fresh lemons & eggs. 
(A gift from a good friend's garden.)

Cut back this sweetly-scented star jasmine.
(It's now finished flowering.)

 Wash & then decide what I shall do with these used linens my mother sent me.
(They are old pillowslips and cushion covers.)

Cast on the scarf that I want to knit with this soft & sandy coloured wool. 
(Wish me luck!)

Make another one of this nutty & caramel-y alternative to the LCM bar.
(No plastic wrappers & unpronounceable ingredients here!)

Have a leisurely read of this Australian Permaculture magazine.
(I love the teapot on the cover!)

So, that's how my Saturday is shaping up. No plans to go anywhere but thoughts of happy, ordinary things that bring a simple joy. The lawn does need mowing but I'm sure we'll get to that in good time before I have to start calling it a jungle instead of lawn;)

Enjoy your weekend days. May they include some simple joys of your own.

Meg



16 comments:

  1. Lovely way to spend the day.
    Pillow cases can easily be made into shopping bags, cut them down, box the bottom, and top sew some strips from the leftover fabric into handles and a pocket...done.
    Local op shop has them 6 @ $1 good buying as shops here are going plastic free in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing such a good idea. These pillow cases are quite large and so would make good-sized shopping bags. I could do with a few more bags too. Hope you are enjoying your Saturday too! Meg:)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the perfect day Meg. I need to pick up the new Pip mag from our library, it's a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Pip at our local library, Sally. I bought this one because when I flipped through it I noticed that David Holmgren has written about retrofitting the suburbs. I am currently waiting to borrow his new book on that very subject from the library but the list is long before it's my turn to pick it up. I found lots of other interesting articles in there too! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Sounds a wonderful Saturday today, enjoy your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Days like this are grand indeed! Hope you are having a lovely weekend too. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely list of things to do, hope you have planned time to stop and drink your favorite hot drink, mine is vanilla tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla tea sounds lovely, Marlene. I had a lovely hot chocolate yesterday while reading my magazine. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a lovely plan for the day. Good luck with the scarf. 😊 I love the color of the wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't knitted a scarf before, Nil, but I read through the different stitches required for this one and know how to do them so hope it won't be too hard. The wool is just gorgeous and soft and the colour reminds me of sandstone cliffs near the sea. I hope you have lovely plans for your weekend too. Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Your Saturday sounds great! I love lemon butter and start Jasmine too. Although the latter is happy to spread, if you don't control it. I also have an Energy bar I make, instead of purchasing muesli bars. I've been meaning to write about it recently. I've taken all the pictures, earlier - I just haven't had the time to punch a post out, on the computer. ;)

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. I love star jasmine too but do wish it didn't have that sticky white sap. I have a set of old secateurs just for cutting it back. I think homemade muesli bars are much better than store bought ... those are typically very high in sugar. This slice alternative to LCM bar is lovely but I have found I need to reduce amount of brown rice puffs so it holds together better. Hope you've had a good weekend. Meg ☺

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lot of things to get through. How'd you go? Look forward to seeing what you do with the linens. I love the colour combination in the coloured slip. I must see if my local library carries the PIP mag to check out - it looks like a worthwhile read (rare in magazines these days).
    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like those colours too! I have done most of what I planned to but still to cast on my shawl. Perhaps tonight ... Meg ☺

      Delete
  8. That sounds like it was a lovely Saturday Meg, I've found old pillowcases great for storing things like electric blankets and duvet inners. That slice looks very nice, would go well with my morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great use for old pillowcases, Anne. The slice is scrumptious, it's a no-bake where the puffed rice is held together with a mixture of macadamia nut butter, vanilla and rice malt syrup and a little pinch of rock salt for that salted caramel flavour. Meg:)

      Delete