Saturday 24 March 2018

Starting a Shawl

Sometimes, learning a new skill can be a frustrating experience. Starting my first-ever shawl is proving to be so ... but I am determined!

A beginning ...

Stephenie (who is an amazing knitter) wrote a great post recently about challenging oneself over on her blog, The Awakened Soul. This shawl is certainly challenging me. No less than six times have I cast on and no less than five times have I pulled it all out! But, sixth time lucky, I have managed to get past the points that were the stumbling blocks for me and now I simply have to repeat many times over, what I've spent quite a few hours learning, to make the most lovely edge of the Cicely Shawl by Courtney Spainhower. (Here is the Ravelry link for those wanting to see what it should look like when it's done.)

When I am choosing something new to knit now, I am looking for things which include stitches I'm confident with and also something new to learn. In this shawl, there's a M1 or Make One stitch which is a way of increasing the number of stitches. I've never done that before and so, of course, that was where a major stumbling block was. That and a lost stitch in a later row! Once this pretty edge is finished, the next challenge will be picking up stitches from those cast off. Thank goodness for YouTube videos (see links) that help me to see what I am supposed to be doing! I consider these online tutorials the next best thing to having my Grandma or my Mum at my shoulder.

I've also had to let go of perfection. That lost stitch in one of the later lacy rows simply disappeared and I could not find where it went. I should've had 19 stitches at that point but I had only 18.  I made the "executive decision" to use my newly acquired M1 stitch to make one so that I had the right number of stitches to go on with. Perfect? No. But considering this stitch fell off my needles after the sixth time I'd cast on, I figured that it was the only way forward!

Another repeat to be followed by another and another!

Now, I am this far into my first-ever shawl. Progress! Perhaps, you are an experienced knitter and you'll be able to see my mistakes but I am hoping most people won't look that closely. First attempts are sometimes clumsy, a little wonky or even a lot wonky but I think that is what learning is about. 

I'm not sure I'll finish this shawl before this Autumn and Winter are done but I am sure that, by the time it's complete, I will  have learnt a whole lot more about knitting!

Meg

19 comments:

  1. It's important to finish your Shaw, once worn it's not fully on show, so any issues should not show, as for knitting loose again it won't notice. Once you have a finish, you will have learnt enough to make fewer mistakes, it takes a few finishes to improve your skills. I look forward to your finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words, Marlene. I do think it is a project that will improve my skills. I've knit a lot of washcloths and a few scarves and just felt like trying something to stretch myself a bit more. And I think the yarn is so lovely! Meg:)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the shawl Meg you have more patience than I do, I find knitting too time consuming and gave it up a long time ago and now crochet instead, I find it a lot quicker although I do still make mistakes and have to start over again which is extremely frustrating. I hope you'll post a photo when the shawls finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an exercise in patience, Jan. I will post a photo when it's finished, might be a while though! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, why would you choose a challenging pattern for you first shawl start? Same reason I choose a 45 piece block for my first patchwork block ! Ha ha didn't know what I was doing....ignorance is bliss.
    Good luck with going ahead, hope you enjoy it, I am knitting my 2nd 'Dissent' shawl by Lisa Mutch and my 3rd Flax Light toddler jumper by Tin Can Knits, fun knitting at its best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... it's a lovely shawl! When I read through the pattern I felt I could do most of the stitches needed but I must've skimmed over the picking up stitches bit;) I know that I can at least finish the lacy edge because I've got that sorted now, those stitches to be picked up might cause me a headache or two though! Meg:)

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't worry about the lost stitch as I'm sure you'll never notice it...the fact that you are giving it a go is the main thing. I'm still on my grandma crochet lap rug and have a half finished scarf on the needles from about 2 years ago....one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I figure that if I can't find that lost stitch then most other people win't be able to either! Meg☺

      Delete
  5. Good luck Meg! I think it's going to a beautiful shawl.
    One of these days I'm going to learn how to knit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Nil. I chose this shawl because it is beautiful especially the fancy edge. It is the most complicated thing I've tried though so I will need some luck along the way! Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Meg you are doing well.I have friends like Abbeysmum who knit these all the time and they turn out wonderfully. I am sure you will join the ranks of successful shawl knitters very soon. I am not tempted at all. Stephanie knits a lot and does beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement, Chel. I know that once I've knit this once that I will be able to do it again more easily. It's a lovely light and soft shawl that I think is perfect for the cooler months here. Meg:)

      Delete
  7. You're streets ahead of me Meg, I can't even learn to Pearl and trust me I've tried. I'll stick to sewing and Cross Stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am persevering with sewing too, Cheryl. I have just finished cutting out a skirt that I have to sew pockets in to. Never done that before either! Hoping it's not as tricky as the lacy edge on this shawl!! Meg:)

      Delete
  8. Hi Meg, Thanks for the mention, and congratulations on your shawl. Lace is tricky, but it sure is beautiful. I love what you've done so far. It just takes practice and familiarity with the techniques. Can't wait to see the photos once it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your knitting is inspiring! This is a challenge for me but that also means, when it's finished, that it will feel like a real achievement. I will definitely post some photos when it's done. Meg:)

      Delete
  9. I was thinking of starting a shrug I've done before. Only doing it in a different colour, this time. I may yet, "start" it. When it gets completed however, is another matter.

    I actually prefer circular needles to regular ones, for some bizarre reason! I can't tell you why. Perhaps it's the lack of straight lines, for knitting with yarn that likes to be shaped? I remember the first attempt on my shrug, I was constantly pulling it apart. Then I learned how to pick up dropped stitches, using a crochet hook.

    I didn't dread those big projects any more, because I could always save them, if I dropped a stitch! See this link, for a youtube tutorial. It will change your life of knitting, if it hasn't already.

    Good luck with your project. By the way, that shawl pattern doesn't seem to be available any more. Did you have to buy the taproot magazine, to get yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that link, Chris. Anything that makes picking up dropped stitches easier is most welcome. The lacy edging is coming along now, much more quickly. I did get my shawl pattern in a special edition of Taproot magazine. It's a lovely magazine but it's not one I buy typically because it comes for the U.S. and is not readily available here. A shrug sounds lovely. I always find that if I've made something before it's always easier that second and third time around! Meg:)

      Delete
  10. Meg, it will be gorgeous...made with love and a little bit of adventure too. 🌷

    ReplyDelete