Sunday 15 July 2018

Here & Now 23

Our Winter days here begin and end with glorious skies.  The sun-warmed sky of the early morning glowing with golden fire and the tell-tale dusky pink sky-ribbon that signals a cold night ahead. These days begin and end with extra layers, jumpers upon jumpers and thick socks within  slippers all encased in an extra blanket or two. As each day warms, as most do during our Winter, we peel off some of this extra warmth but enough remains to remind us that this is the coldest season of our year. 


 The gentle light of a fragrant candle.

Warm and nourishing porridge.

A warm blanket for an old friend.

Hearty Winter soup.

 The warming flames of a bonfire.

Now is a time of year I relish for its distinct difference to our Summers; those scorching days seem far away...

Loving //  The gentleness of beautiful Winter's light.

Eating //   Bowls of warming, nourishing soup.

Drinking //  Pepperminty hot chocolates just so I can wrap my hands around the mug!

Feeling //  Toasty in all my Winter layers.

Making //  Time for sewing little things like this sweet tea towel bag.

Thinking //  A fire pit in my backyard would be lovely!
                           
Dreaming //  ... of toasting jaffles and marshmallows in my imaginary fire pit!

Is it Winter or is it Summer where you live?  There are others posting their own Here & Now happenings over with Sarah at Say, Little Hen. You could visit with them awhile there or join in and share some of your season with us.

Meg

22 comments:

  1. It's summer here, we are having a long hot heatwave, loads of salads ate. I do love the winter comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that food is so seasonal, that what we eat can reflect the seasons of the year and what is fresh at those times of year. Stay cool! Meg:)

      Delete
  2. A fire pit is on my 29 Monday's "To Do" list, although with the plans I have, I suspect it will take longer than one week to accomplish! Winter hit here with vengeance last night, and this morning it is 9am and still freezing inside at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing your fire-pit, Cheryl. Perfect for days like these! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. We bought a fire pit with a lid from Bunnings a couple of years ago pretty cheap...I think it's about time we had a little backyard marshmallow toasting. Tomorrow morning it's going to be 4 degrees...not looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backyard marshmallow toasting sounds like wonderful Wintertime fun. I'm not looking forward to 4degrees tomorrow either, have to get up very early for first day back at school. MegXx

      Delete
  4. Yes winter here too in NZ. I'm enjoying soups, and stews made in the pressure cooker. I love the faintly smokey smell in the air when we visit the beach. Winter's a good excuse to hunker down inside, making things and baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the beach in Winter, Anne. Even though it's too cold to swim, it's nice just to stroll along the beach. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. We're very much into Summer here. I love the contrast of the seasons. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the cooler months of the year, Jules. Our Summers can be real scorchers so Winter and Autumn offer such lovely contrasts to that hot weather. Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Lovely post, Meg. We are in the dog days of Summer here. I loved reading about what you are doing. Winter is my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some relief from the heat you've been having soon, Stephenie. Winter offers up a lovely contrast to that kind of hot weather. Meg:)

      Delete
  7. It all looks very cosy Meg.
    In the UK we are having a scorching summer.
    Marlene x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope things cool down for you soon, Marlene. Our Summers can be scorching too and that can sometimes be very draining. I do like the cooler seasons more because I can spend more time outside. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely post, Meg.
    It's summer here and very hot and humid. But I came back from Melbourne a week ago, so it was a nice change to experience the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nil. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Melbourne. We loved our visit there a little while ago. Meg:)

      Delete
  9. I love home made soups and scones in winter. My scented candles are always delicately scenting the house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home made soups are just so delicious, aren't they! I love the variety of soups you can make to warm up in Winter. Meg:)

      Delete
  10. I always enjoy your posts, Meg. They are so thoughtful and reflective.
    There hasn’t been much layer peeling happening throughout the day here lately. With frosts every morning it’s been cold, even though the sky is completely clear and the sun is shining brightly. We’ve been lighting the fire most days just after lunch to keep the chill out of the house in the evening.
    I do love this season though, much gentler than summer!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fire sounds very cosy, Sarah. I'm sure there's a knitting project or two that makes it onto your lap around that fire. Meg:)

      Delete
  11. Sir Steve looks so cosy. He is a lucky dog!
    It was pretty warm today. Is that winter coming to an end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Winter is going to stay around a while longer, Lucy. I'm not ready for warmer weather just yet. That would mean an end to my hot chocolates! Meg:)

      Delete