Tuesday 24 December 2019

Almost Christmas Day

It must be that time of year! There are splashes and shades of red, the blossoms of the Poincianas, Illawarra Flames and native flowering gums decorate the view as I look out the windows of our home to the trees that surround us here. Their blooming signals that our summery Christmas is near.

A handmade clay kookaburra.

Another tree stands tall in our living area. It's shiny in all its red tinsel-y finery; decorated with much a-do by our beautiful boy on the very first of these December days. As it's now the 24th day of the advent countdown, Christmas Day must be only a tomorrow away.

 A once-toddler boy's starry bauble.

Though I have not actually heard the ringing of sleigh bells as yet, I must be ready as the lunch menu is all planned and shopped for, the table napkins are all neatly pressed, the little old fridge downstairs that keeps the Christmas drinks cold has been switched on from its almost year-long slumber and the gifts have all been wrapped with bows of love. Christmas must be almost upon us!

A little wooden bell.

During today, there's a family feast to prepare. I will be roasting chickens with lemon and garlic and thyme, making colourful salads and whipping the creamy filling for the cheesecake that is our dessert tradition. There'll be fruity slices of plum pudding too but that recipe belongs to my mother-in-law who makes it for us all. (She makes the rum balls too and they are oh so good!) Later this evening, we will take a leisurely stroll around our neighbourhood to look at all the twinkly, coloured lights. It is Christmas Eve!

A sweet hand-painted angel.

Family will gather at our place tomorrow. There will be much chatter, laughter, rememberings and togetherness. We may be sharing our Christmas lunch indoors though as the forecast is for rain here, up to 60mm. Rain is at the very top of my wish list and there are many, many others who are hoping some will fall on their Christmas Days too. Perhaps the collective hopes, wishes and prayers of so many have filled some clouds. If you need rain at your place, I hope you get some under your tree and on your land tomorrow. We'll have our fingers crossed. 

A folk art heart for love.

In whichever way you spend your day tomorrow, be it Christmas-y or otherwise, may it be a lovely day shared with your dear and cherished ones. 

A most Merry Christmas to you all.
Meg Xx




29 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Meg! I love all of your ornaments. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have quite a collection of ornaments now, Debbie. They make me smile when I see them come out of their storage box and go up on our tree for Xmas. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Day with your family too.
      I'm sure your grandsons are most excited! MegXx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful ornaments! And it must be so nice to look out your window to flowers. Your celebration activities and prep sound great. I hope you get your rain...it would make a cozy inside with your tree also. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take rain , Andrea, in any amount that it falls. It's so very dry. The red blossoms on some of the trees bring some cheer to a parched landscape.
      Meg Xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful ornaments.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. Happy holidays to you! I am sure you'll enjoy your break from work and time at home. Will you be catching up with family and friends over the holidays? MegXx

      Delete
  4. Lovely meaningful ornaments- just the way I like them. Oh, gosh, Please let it rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my fingers and toes are crossed for rain!! May it pour down where it's needed right across the country. MegXx

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post, Meg. I am praying that you get some rain, too. We have had it here, and I am so grateful. It makes such a difference in the soil and fruit production. (not to mention the fires.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Stephanie. Lovely that you have had rain for, as you say, it makes uch a difference. There's nothing quite like it! MegXx

      Delete
  6. Have a great Christmas Meg. Regards Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful day too, Kathy. We should get some rain which will be awesome. Xx Meg

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas Meg to you and your family.
    Love your tree with it's special ornaments, I feel terrible that this year I did not even drag out the tree and dress in its finery as the children are not coming here and we are having christmas with my elderly Mum in Dubbo.
    I just haven't got into the christmas swing this year.....maybe this rotten drought has a lot to answer for as it just seems to put a damper on festivities a little.
    Don't get me wrong, we are still enjoying Christmas but in a different way.
    May we all have a blessed WET Christmas.
    Cheers
    Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas with your Mum sounds lovely, Jane. A time for you to enjoy being together. I do so hope it rains everywhere that it's needed, if not tomorrow, then soon! MegXx

      Delete
  8. I've been watching the radar and hoping for a wonderful wet Christmas too. I hope you get a decent soaking down your way. Merry Christmas to you and your family. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get rain up your way too, Susan. A wet Christmas would be wonderful indeed. Have a lovely day tomorrow. MegXx

      Delete
  9. Merry Christmas Meg. I do hope Australia gets buckets of rain tomorrow (and we here in NZ don't get any until later in the week), as I think everyone there would be happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Anne. Rain ... what a great gift that would be!
      MegXx

      Delete
  10. Your decorations are beautiful and you seem well prepared for the big day.
    I do hope you get your much longed for rain and I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers and toes are crossed for a rainy Christmas Day, Jules. It's looking promising. Have a lovely day with your family. MegXx

      Delete
  11. I love al your little decorations and the memories that are held with them. I do hope you have the rain you so long for, I know it will make such a difference. Hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lovely collection of ornaments with many coming to us as gifts from family and friends over the years. I love seeing them up on our tree. I hope you have a most happy day wirh your loved ones too. MegXx

      Delete
  12. Happy Christmas to you and your family, Meg. I hope you get some of that rain I saw on the radar that is heading for Brisbane. We have had a little rain in a couple of storms that passed through and it is thundering once again. It will be a cold lunch for us tomorrow followed by pav of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely that you have had rain out your way, Chel. There's lightning and thunder over the ridge here so storms should roll through here too.

      Merry Xmas!
      Meg Xx

      Delete
  13. Merry Christmas, Laurie!
    Meg Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you a Merry Christmas, I hope you get the rain you need, sadly here in UK we have too much of the stuff and homes are flooded out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Marlene. I hope you get some sunshine and dry weather soon. MegXx

      Delete
  15. Merry Christmas Meg. I have everything crossed that the promised rain arrives, what a wonderful Christmas present that would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you having a most lovely Christmas time, Jan. We did get some rain; a storm on Christmas eve and then rain around lunchtime yesterday. It was wonderful! MegXx

      Delete