Tuesday 31 December 2019

The Last Day of this Decade

It seems we are on the cusp of a new decade. I didn't quite connect the dots between the coming new year and the imminent new decade until I read it somewhere and thought, "Oh. Of course! 2020!" I remember being much younger and calculating how old I'd be in 2020. Harmless fun back then but it seems that I'll be forty-eight this coming year. That snuck up on me too!!

My new  and flowery 2020 planner.

Although clearly of significance, both the beginnings of the new year and the new decade, I have not given much any thought yet to this new year to come. I tend to forget which day we are up to during holidays times so, here it is New Year's Eve, and I've set no great goals and made no grand plans. I do have a new yearly planner though but I've not added anything to it. Yet!


An abundance of sunlight but not a lot of hot water.

There are things, as there always are, to do around our home. We need to get our hot water fixed. Since a brief, thundery storm came through here on Xmas Eve, we've had lukewarm water which is not a problem on our hot Summery days. I would've been chasing up an electrician much more enthusiastically if it were Winter.  I don't think that counts as a goal though, more a necessity...eventually!

Sparklers are pretty but they can't be recycled.

I do have sparklers for midnight twirling tonight. One of our much more organised friends has invited us to see in the new year with them. Our host requested we bring sparklers which I braved the shops to find yesterday. There's been a bit of a debate about whether fireworks are appropriate given most of our country is on fire but I found myself having a mental to and fro over sparklers. A quick google in the supermarket aisle informed me they are definitely not recyclable so my plan is to collect the wire and re-use it to make something like this glass bead garden sparkler. I really don't want to add to the world's waste within the first minute of the new decade. That's not a new goal either.

A wombat we saw on holidays in Tasmania.
(I 🤎 wombats so I'm okay with being a muddle-headed one sometimes.)

It is inevitable that I will fall asleep well before midnight tonight. I am one of the world's  early-to-rise and early-to-sleep people so staying awake for so long just sees me become like a muddle-headed wombat. (Luckily, my friends know this about me and even if they did have a laugh or two at my quiet snoring, I am oblivious anyway. 😉) Someone will wake me up a minute or two before midnight so I can join in the count down and twirl one of the above-mentioned sparklers. So no plans to stay awake 'til midnight. It's beyond me!

Our best mate will ensure the first day of 2020 starts early.

Tomorrow, on the first day of this new year and decade, the punctual Sir Steve dog will wake me up (again) around 5:30 a.m., as he always does, for his breakfast as in this he is more reliable than an alarm clock. And, so, the day will properly begin then, not with fizzing sparklers but with the dance of a Labrador's paws on our floorboards and an insistent bark (right next to my ear)  should I not move fast enough. After breakfast has been served, we'll take a stroll together around our leafy and friendly neighbourhood. This is how my everyday days begin. This coming New Year's Day, albeit the beginning of a new decade, will be no different. And in that, I am most glad.

However you prepare for it and however you celebrate it, I hope you have a very happy beginning to your new year and the new decade. 

Meg

32 comments:

  1. Just the other day, I thought about the things happened in the last decade. Time flies so fast.

    Happy New Year to you and your family, Meg!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time does indeed fly past, Nil. I had a three year old at the beginning of it and now have an almost-thirteen year old. All that growth in the blink of an eye!

      A most happy new year to you, Nil.
      MegXx

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Meg. I am an early riser, too. The older I get, the earlier I fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding this as I get older too, Stephanie. I will tuck myself up in bed with a book in the evening and, instead of finishing a chapter or two as I used to, I'm asleep after a couple of pages! I definitely function better early in the morning and I love that it is so quiet and peaceful at the beginning of a new day.

      I hope you have a lovely beginning to your new year.
      Meg Xx

      Delete
  3. mornings are my most favourite time of the day. If I stay in bed, well my day just doesn't run right.
    I wonder what the next decade will bring, it scares me to think too much about it if I'm honest.
    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder too what the next decade will bring, Kate. As human beings, I think we will collectively face some very big challenges; for me evidence of that is already being seen in the devastating and prolonged drought here in Australia and the catastrophic bushfires that see so much of our land burning.

      At home here, behind our blue gates, I hope that not too much will change in terms of the more simple lives we lead now. It's a quiet refuge and I hope it remains so.

      May your new year begin peacefully and with hope.
      MegXx

      Delete
  4. I always say it'll be a new year....And yes, a new decade....whether I'm awake or not. I'm an early riser too, out the door by 6 to let the chooks out and walk Mirrhi, so I'll get to greet the quiet newness while neighbours are still snoozing. All the best to you and yours for 2020 Meg....looking forward to hearing your goals and plans 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are so very right, Nanette. The new year and new decade will tick over whether we are awake to see it or no. I will probably be wiping sleepy dust from my eyes around midnight as I try to rouse myself and twirl a sparkler. I wish you a lovely beginning to 2020, Nanette. Let's hope that it's a year where peace finds a way. MegXx

      Delete
  5. I think I must be the odd one here as I am not an early riser but for all of my working life I was up at 6 am putting on dinner in the slow cooker, making lunches and generally rushing around so now I refuse to get up early! I agree with you that time goes by so fast, and it will go faster as you get older for some reason and I am a lot older than you! Time goes faster but I am going slower. Wishing you a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making school and work lunches is one of the things I do in the mornings too, Rosie. It's much easier while everyone is still asleep. I do think time seems to have sped up since I've gotten older. Just a blink and a whole year is gone! I hope you have a lovely 2020! Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year and Decade to you too Meg! 😊
    I too am staring down the barrel of 48, but I still tell everyone I’m 39...I couldn’t face 40 😂

    It’s a quiet one at home for us tonight, I probably won’t even stay up, it feels too somber with all the fires in and around my home area of the South Coast, we live on the North Coast now, but my greater home region is ablaze, it’s horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so very sad to see our country on fire ike this, Cheryl, and to know that many are facing such a difficult year. May we all can keep those impacted in our thoughts and wrap our collective arms around them, as they find ways to begin anew.

      Much love to you at the beginning of this new year. MegXx

      Delete
  7. I have no plans for 2020, it's a see what happens year for us, hopefully all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, Marlene. I think seeing where life takes you is a lovely way to approach a new year; it leaves you open to spontaneity and opportunities as the months unfold. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year to you and yours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina. We had a lovely swim, dinner and board games with our friends last night. I did indeed take a nap but was there to twirl my sparkler at midnight. I hope 2020 unfolds into a lovely year for you. MegXx

      Delete
  9. Farewell 2019.. Welcome 2020. I do hope it's a wonderful new decade for everyone. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, Cherie. I hope you enjoyed your New Year celebrations. Meg:)

      Delete
  10. A Happy New Year to you and your family, Meg. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. I hope 2020 unfolds into a most lovely year for you and your family too. MegXx

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year!!! May 2020 be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Angela. I hope your 2020 holds much promise for happy times. Meg:)

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year Meg. Making a 2020 "to do" list is planned for today...maybe when it cools down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most organised doing your 2020 list on New Years Day, Anne. I still too muddle-headed for that! I think it's much more likely that I'll curl up in a soft spot soon and read my New Year Day away. A most Happy New Year to you! Meg:)

      Delete
  13. Happy New Year....it's funny about the new decade and remembering your age as I as telling my Mum last night when we all celebrated the New Year 2000 [with the what will happen at midnight Y2K bug] she was bascially my age now [plus 3 years] back then...hard to believe as I feel young and Mum was my age and we were all grown ups....so weird. My 13 year old is super excited about the New Year and decade as she is looking for part time work - seems so grown up handing her resume into 5 local businesses of her own accord. My son is learning to drive and it seems a whole other level. Family photographs I am now the shortest one...so funny seeing all my friends family Christmas pics and all of us parents are shorter than our kids...seems so strange. Enjoy the rest of the week and I look forward to your simple living posts in 2020. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I look forward to reading your blog too and seeing all the beautiful photographs you take. Your daughter is very proactive in searching for a job which I think is a great thing. I can't even contemplate my son learning to drive but I know it will come to pass one day. He is already just taller than me and not even a teenager. I'm not quite sure when I started shrinking!! I hop enjoyed your new year celebrations last night and that you have much to look forward to in the coming year. MegXx

      Delete
  14. I was the same as you about the turn of the year. I had not clocked at all that it was a new decade too. I cannot believe we are entering the twentieth year of this century. Like you I had young children at the beginning of the decade. I am a little bit older than you so a new decade means a new decade in my life too, 50 this year! We too have drifted a bit with our rhythms and routines over the holiday period, I had complaints yesterday from family who were running out of clothes, I realised I had not done any washing for over a week! Eeeek! I am now looking forward to thinking about some of the things we can do in 2020.

    Happy New Year to you and yours, Meg x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how time drifts on holidays; days seem to blend into one another. It's nice not to be bound by calendars and clocks sometimes. Enjoy our holidays! Meg:)

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year! It is nice you have such a cute furry "alarm clock"..lol
    We can have sparklers here in Pennsylvania, but in Delaware they were not allowed by law. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Our furry alarm clock is very cute and hence gets away with quite a bit of mischief! Meg:D

      Delete
  16. Happy new year Meg! I hope it brings you much joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I hope you've had a happy start to this new year too. MegXx

      Delete