Saturday 1 February 2020

First Soapmaking: A Heart-Shaped Flop

I imagined bars of creamy, milky soap but ended up with these lumpy bumpy hearts instead. 😞

My first homemade soaps.

My first attempt at making soap didn't quite turn out perfectly but learning a new skill often takes time. This happened when I started knitting again so many years after my grandmother taught me how to cast on. So many dropped stitches! It happened too when I began teaching myself to sew. So much unpicking! And it seems now that soap making will take practice and patience and a willingness to try again. 

The soap recipe I followed is really very simple. There are very few ingredients in it; just pure soap flakes, milk and milk powder. Essential oils can be added but I chose not to add fragrance as I wanted to limit the chance for things to go awry. But awry they went anyway! Luckily, flops like this are simply opportunities to learn, aren't they...

Lumpy bumpy bases.

During my first soapmaking session, I ran into a few problems which I think probably led to this somewhat messy, heart-shaped result.  The pot I used was one I already had and I don't feel it has a heavy enough base because it didn't heat up well at low temperature so it took forever for the soap flakes to melt, and the bottom of the soap mixture began to burn when I increased the heat. It is also very light and kept moving off the hotplate as I tried stirring the soap mixture leading to a less-than-constant temperature. I will be keeping my eye out for a heavy based pot at the op-shops before I try making soap again. 

Smooth and creamy but still too thick.

After considerable time and with much stirring, both by hand and with a stick blender, my mixture did finally reach the point where it was creamy and smooth and ready to pour into my heart-shaped moulds. I found it very tricky transferring the soap mixture from the pot to fill each heart as the mixture quickly became too thick on the surface when removed from the heat meaning I could not achieve a smooth finish for the base of the soaps. I wonder if a simple rectangular container might work better and make for an easier transfer of mixture to mould. At least until I get the consistency right.

Imperfection!

After 24hours to set, I turned the soapy hearts out of their silicone mould. While they are 'rough' on the base, they are somewhat smoother on top. So, while I definitely won't be gifting my soap to anyone until I sort out a few glitches, it's still very much usable for us here at home. Well, it will be once it cures for a few weeks. In the meantime, I'll be scouring the op-shops to find me a better pot so that I can have another try. 

Are you a soap maker? How did your first attempts turn out?

Meg












29 comments:

  1. I’ve made soap with the recipe you talk about, I even had a thin based pot, and I didn’t have any problems. I’m by no means an expert, but you ‘trace’ looks too thick? I remember mine being closer to slightly thicker than pouring custard consistency. Maybe that’s the problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do think it was too thick because it was more like scooping than pouring! When you made this recipe up, did it take a very long time for the soap flakes to melt? Meg

      Delete
    2. Not from memory, but it was a while ago.

      Delete
  2. Meg, I have never used a recipe like that. Sorry it didn't turn out. Are you frightened of using lye? It is okay to use if you just take simple precautions. The 100% coconut oil soap I make is quick and easy and sets hard really quickly so there is no problem getting it out of the moulds just after a few hours. Melt and pour soap is another option as you don't need to use lye in that as that part has already been done. Keep experimenting and I am sure you will get better at it each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. I chose this recipe because I had the ingredients on hand and it seemed pretty simple. I do think I somehow made hard work of it!

      I would really like to make lovely soaps but do think it's a learning process. I will keep trying. 🙂

      Delete
  3. Meg, the most important thing is you did it! Now you can improve the method.

    I have made soap several times, and only once (2nd time) something went wrong. Most probably I didn’t measure ingredients correctly.
    I have tried Chel’s 100% coconut oil soap, and it’s so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have a look at Chel's coconut oil soap recipe, Nil. I am going to give this recipe another try too to see if I can get a better result. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Great work making your first soap...I've made it twice before years ago and I was so intimidated to start and using lye I was a bit scared. I used gloves, we did it outside and had an eye mask on and "trace" took way longer than I thought it should however it turned out okay the first batch. Having another go with the same recipe is a good idea. Kmart have great "small individual rectangle loaf" silicon moulds for $5 which might help. So in one mould there is 6 rectangles. I bought it to make smaller banana breads so I can just thaw one out and have 2-3 slices. It's exciting trying something new and frustrating when it doesn't work out the way we expect it too however as you say like anything we have to have a few tries at it before we get it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep my eye open for some of the silicon moulds at Kmart, Kathy. They sound ideal. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Maybe a second batch will work out better. Keep trying. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Jules. Fingers crossed! Meg:)

      Delete
  6. They look great for a first attempt. I haven't tried making soap but I made lip balm yesterday. It turned out a bit scrappy looking due to it cooling while I poured. Still nice to use though so I don't mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, Cherie. I would like to try lip balm too for the Winter time here. Meg:)

      Delete
  7. I have made this type of soap before with the same outcome. It was lumpy, but still usable. I have to admit that I haven't tried since, although I am going to have a go at the lye method next.

    At least you have started and you will probably be able to use this soap still. I was a bit concerned whether it was okay to bath in soap that uses Lux flakes? Not sure why though. I have used a couple of bars of mine, but most are still in the bathroom drawer.

    Keep on trying, you will succeed in the end.

    xTania


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will give this recipe another go and also look into melt and pour soaps too. I am not sure about using lye but expect it's just a matter of confidence and practice. I hope you have a great result when next you make soap, Tania. MegXx

      Delete
  8. I have never tried to make soap so you are braver than me, although I know that this recipe did not contain lye. I do hope that you subsequent batches are a little better each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my next batch is better too. I will tweak a few things and see how the soap turns out. Fingers crossed! Meg:)

      Delete
  9. Hi Meg, Don't worry. I'm sure they will still be fine to use. My first soaps were melt and pour. Once I started making soap with lye, my first batch took quite a while to get to trace. You'll get the hang of it. It just takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement, Stephanie. I will keep practising and hopefully, one day, get good results. MegXx

      Delete
  10. Here is a link to Elly's YouTube channel and her vlog on Soap making questions answered - she is a lovely Aussie lass who is well versed in soap making and also sourdough bread making. Her tutorials are great. I haven't tried soap making but would like to in the future. I've been collecting moulds so I'm part way there, I just need to dive it!

    https://youtu.be/VkgUjjqa-8s

    Cheers Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the YouTube link, Joolz. I am very keen to develop my soap making skills so it will be great online resource. Good luck with your soap making too! Meg:)

      Delete
  11. Well, you're making better soap than me! As I haven't attempted any yet. Top marks for getting started. If you made it with Lux soap flakes, I find it takes a bit of time for the flakes to melt down, and sometimes if it's old, they won't melt to a smooth consistency at all. This is from making laundry liquid soap. So I can't imagine what it might do, in the soap making process.

    I have some soap flakes, so will check out the recipe. Thanks Meg! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flakes did take a very long time to melt so perhaps I wasn't patient enough. Hmmm...I will try again, once I find a pot with a heavier base, and see what happens! Meg:)

      Delete
  12. Where did you find the recipe Meg? I think its one that I found, it's like a cheat's version of soap, as it doesn't use lye in the process. Mine were like yours. I wasn't impressed either. I have made some great soap using Lye, but that was about a decade ago. Haven't made any more since. Just be sure to use safety gear, and it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyne. I found the recipe on the Cashed Up, Debt Free and Laughing blog as a recipe for beginner soap makers. I had the ingredients so thought it might be good to make a start with it. I am going to give it another try and see what happens second time around. Thanks for your encouragement. Meg:)

      Delete
  13. I've been wanting to make soap again for ages - I have only made it once using Phil's recipe and it turned out really well. I was a bit scared about using lye but it was so easy.

    https://mistahomemaker.blogspot.com/2016/08/make-your-own-simple-soap-no.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link to this recipe. I think I will need to buy some lye and give these types of soaps a try too. Meg:)

      Delete
  14. Just having a catch up on your blog and bumpy or not I just love your soaps. I have never made any (probably never will) as there are so many things I have on the go at the moment...knitting is one of them and like you I have started again after a few years.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you! I have tried this soap now and it is fine to use here at home. I haven't tried the recipe again yet but will give it another go to see if I can improve on the result.

      I found, with knitting, that once I got back into it I really enjoyed it. What are you knitting at the moment? Meg:)

      Delete