Saturday 16 May 2020

Home-baked Chocolate Chip Bars

There's always a home baked offering for morning or afternoon tea at our place. It might be  our favourite biscuits, fruity muffins, a simple slice, fresh scones or, on the odd occasion, a cake. This past week, we enjoyed home-baked chocolate chip bars which are a homemade alternative to store-bought, plastic-wrapped, super-sweet chocolate chip muesli bars.

Yum!

These homemade chocolate chip bars are very easy and quick to make. With a few minor adjustments to this original recipe, for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars, from Lydia at the Thrifty Frugal Mum site, this is how I made them:

Home-baked Chocolate Chip Bars 

Dry Ingredients:
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup wholemeal spelt flour (or plain wholemeal flour)
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/3 cup brown sugar (loosely packed)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup oil (I used macadamia nut oil but canola or a light vegetable oil would also work.)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 180C and line a 20cm cake tin or medium size slice tray.

1.  Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.

2.  Whisk together wet ingredients in separate bowl or jug.

3.  Make well in centre of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients.

4.  Mix until combined. 

5.  Press mixture into your lined tin or tray.

6.  Bake for 15mins or until lightly golden.

7.  Cool on wire rack before cutting into bars. 

One of these chocolate chip bars is just right for morning or afternoon tea at home but also perfect for putting into a lunchbox too. With a list of easily-recognisable ingredients, that does not include things like humectant, modified starch, invert sugar and some unknown flavour, they are a more wholesome alternative to that store-bought something that comes in a packet.

Well worth baking!

Meg








20 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with you...those store bought bars are not food and I must admit I haven't bought anything like that in over 10 years...home made is the way to go these look great. Have a good weekend. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I might buy a packet of store bought bars is if we are travelling, otherwise it's homemade here. I like that baking at home gives me option to use more wholesome ingredients, add nutrition with nut or fruits and reduce sugar too. Much healthier in my opinion. Have a lovely weekend too, Kathy.
      Meg:)

      Delete
  2. They look good, might have to give them a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are yummy! You can substitute sultanas for chocolate chips too. Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Meg they look very yummy. I wouldn't dare bake them otherwise I would eat the whole tray full. Not much discipline these days πŸ˜³πŸ™„πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always freeze some of whatever I bake, Chel. If I don't, it disappears very fast here. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Oh Meg, your post made me hungry for snacks. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't take very long to make, Nil. You could whip up a batch in less than half an hour! Meg:D

      Delete
  5. Yummy Meg! Now I feel like baking. I need to find wholemeal flour, I haven't been able to get any since lockdown. Maybe I could try using all plain flour in the recipe? Hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All plain flour will work in this recipe, Rose Petal. Happy baking!
      Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Oh yum! I miss having children in the house to bake for....no good baking all those yummies just for me and the man, we'd get rather wide!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home baking here certainly helps to fill up my growing-ever-so-fast teenage boy, Evi.
      MegXx

      Delete
  7. Your chocolate chip bars look yum. I like how you have stipulated loosely packed brown sugar, so many recipes never say and I was taught that brown sugar was always measured firmly packed. These will be good to make once I get back into my walking routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always minimise sugar when tinkering with recipes, Pip. I most often use coconut sugar but didn't have any in my pantry so soft brown sugar was the substitute. I hope you can get back into your walking soon.
      MegπŸ™‚

      Delete
  8. They look delicious. I'll have to see if I can persuade Lily to try some. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious! I just made some Toll House cookie dough the other day. I just bake a dozen at a time, since I live on my own. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up Toll House cookies, Stephanie, as I had not heard of them before. They sound like a classic chocolate chip cookie. Yum!
      Meg πŸ™‚

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos on your other post, and thanks for the recipe! I noticed they looked really good. Andrea

    ReplyDelete