Wednesday 17 June 2020

Brown Rice & Vegetable Rolls

A rediscovered recipe, scrawled on a piece of paper and found languishing between pages of a rarely-used recipe book, reminded me of a lovely version of sausage rolls that I haven't made for a good twenty years of so!  Instead of a meaty filling, these rolls are filled with healthy brown rice and lots of nutritious vegetables. They are most lovely, warm from the oven and with a dollop of fruity chutney on the side. 

Delicious!

Brown Rice & Vegetable Rolls


Ingredients:
1 cup cooked brown rice 
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup grated carrot
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 capsicum, finely chopped
1 cup grated tasty cheese
1 Tablespoons fruit chutney
2 eggs, beaten
3 sheets puff pastry

Method:

1.  Preheat oven to 210C.

2. Combine all ingredients, except pastry sheets, in a large bowl to make the filling.

3.  Spoon filling along  one edge of each puff pastry sheet.

4.  Roll up the filling inside the pastry and seal by pressing pastry ends together.

5.  Cut evenly into individual rolls.

6.  Glaze with a little egg or milk before baking. (You could sprinkle with sesame seeds too.)

7.  Bake for approximately 30mins or until pastry is golden.

8.  Serve with some extra fruit chutney.

Ingredients for a meat-free meal.

These rolls are a delicious alternative to everyday sausage rolls and have lots of extra goodness wrapped up in them from the brown rice and the vegetables. It certainly won't be another twenty years before I make them again!

Meg

28 comments:

  1. oh Meg, these look absolutely delicious!! I am going to make these in the next couple of days. Will just have to get some puff pastry. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you really enjoy them! I am going to make another batch this week too as they are perfect for this colder weather. MegXx

      Delete
  2. Look delicious, how many would this make (live alone) and do they freeze well?
    Gotta love healthy tasty food and so good as the weather gets colder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret. I got nine rolls from the three pastry sheets by cutting each into thirds after I rolled up the filling. I am not sure if they freeze well as there were none left over. Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Looks great and having it with Chutney would be really nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chutney, Kathy. These are lovely with the extra chutney on the side. MegXx

      Delete
  4. These look delicious! You did such a great job too...they look perfect. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. They taste as good as they look ... especially with fruit chutney. MegXx

      Delete
  5. Just beautiful, Meg...and they look so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have some really healthy ingredients for the filling, Stephanie. Brown rice and vegetables and eggs too! MegXx

      Delete
  6. The veggie rolls look really good and I will add them to my recipe book. I occasionally make sausage rolls but these are much healthier and I am trying to add more healthier recipes to my cooking. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy eating them, Rosie. They are delicious! Meg:)

      Delete
  7. Yum! They look so delicious.
    Are the sides (ends) of each roll is open? Or do you close the ends after cutting rolls into thirds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil. I didn't close the ends after cutting into thirds but you could do that for each little roll if you wanted to.
      Meg:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Meg. 😊
      I put this recipe in my ‘I’m going to try this’ list.

      Delete
  8. Oh yum! I prefer vegetarian sausage rolls over regular ones, especially if they are homemade! This recipe seems simpler than the ones I make, I must try them one day. Thanks for sharing the recipe 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Meg,

    thank you for sharing this recipe.
    My daughter is a vegetarian so I'm always looking for recipes that she can eat and my carnivorous hubby and son will eat😉. These look delicious and perfect for the whole family.

    I might try making them with either fillo pastry or an olive oil pastry that I sometimes use for spanakopita. We are trying to eat less saturated fat so I usually modify recipes by replacing butter with olive oil.

    Cheers, Maria. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your family likes them, Maria. MegXx

      Delete
  10. I will definitely try these - I made some from a recipe I have had for ages but they were a bit tasteless and had an 'eggy' flavour that came through from the binding which I was not keen on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them. They are lovely with chutney!
      Meg:)

      Delete
  11. Meg, they look delicious. I am always writing recipes on random pieces of paper which turn up years later in the strangest of places 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am wondering what other recipes I've managed to hide from myself! Now that I've rediscovered this one, I probably should sit down and flip through the pages of every recipe book I own to see what else I find.
      Meg:D

      Delete
  12. These sound and look delicious, thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are scrumptious and I do really love them with chutney. I am going to make them again soon as they are perfect for these colder days we are having. Meg:)

      Delete
  13. They do sound tasty. I think this may be something I'll try next time we have puff pastry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them if you make them, Cherie. They are quite tasty.
      Meg:)

      Delete
  14. Hi there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks
    brown rice receipes

    ReplyDelete