Monday 3 August 2020

Generosity In My World

With fresh eggs from her chickens, juicy oranges and macadamia nuts from her abundant trees and delicately scented nasturtiums in a little posy, my friend shared with me some of her garden's bounty. I brought her sweet local strawberries and homemade cake as a thank you. I think we were both thrilled!

Gifts from my friend's garden.

The juice from my friend's homegrown oranges, and the golden-yolked eggs from her happy chickens, went into dozens of orange and chocolate chip muffins. The hard shells of the macadamia nuts have all been cracked open and the creamy, sweet kernels enjoyed wholeheartedly. What a healthy treat! And those pretty nasturtiums graced our table for many days and reminded me of my beautiful friend each time their vibrant petals caught my eye. 

Produce grown just a few doors down from our place.

From one of our generous neighbourhood gardeners, we received fresh lettuce and rocket, picked right there and then from his productive garden. We laughed together as he told me to watch out for a caterpillar or two! I brought his gift home, washed the leaves (no caterpillars😋) and made a healthy salad for dinner that very same day. So fresh and delicious! I plan on reciprocating with a big bunch of homegrown Italian parsley and some homemade biscuits...I think chocolate chip might be his favourite!

Homemade chocolate loaf cake.

Almost every week, my mother-in-law bakes something for her grandson's lunchbox. She brings her delicious baking over on Sundays when we all share afternoon tea together. Over the years, I've been so thankful for the extra biscuits, muffins, pikelets and cakes that she quietly puts on my kitchen bench and that I transfer to the freezer for enjoying later throughout busier weeks.  In return, we send her home with produce from the garden or some soup or some extra slices of sweetness from our afternoon tea. 

Fragrant Vietnamese Mint

Cutting of Salvia Leucantha (Mexican Sage)

Over the past few months, I have gotten to know a fellow gardener who is teaching me about her culture's cuisine and how she grows the food she likes to cook. We've exchanged laughter, ideas and plants. Recently, this sweet gardener gave me a pot of Vietnamese Mint and I have struck cuttings from a salvia that grows in my garden to give to her. We both love salvias!

Salvia Leucantha in bloom in my garden.

These are just a few examples of the generosity in my world; there are countless more.  They rely not on the exchange of money but on generosity of spirit, a willingness to share and a heartfelt thanks for the kindness and love that changes hands. 

Meg

20 comments:

  1. It is so exciting when gifts are like this and when you can give something to someone else that you have grown too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a joy to share produce from our garden; I find people love fresh herbs and salad greens too. There's something wonderful about sharing abundance with other people. Have a great week too, Kathy.
      MegXx

      Delete
  2. Hello Meg,

    I really enjoyed reading your post today. It is so nice to read about acts of generosity, kindness and friendship, especially when we seem to be surrounded by so much negativity and uncertainty at the moment.

    You are lucky to have such lovely friends and neighbours and they are lucky to have you.

    I love sharing produce from our many fruit trees and vegie garden, eggs from our gorgeous hens and my home-made jams and pickles. I often bake more bread, bagels, rolls and sweet treats than we need so that I can give some to family and friends.

    What a special and thoughtful way your MIL has chosen to treat her grandson, you and hubby. Afternoon tea spent with loved ones and enjoying home-made goodies sounds perfect to me. A lovely way to spend time on a Sunday afternoon.

    Keep safe and stay well Meg together with your lovely family.

    Best wishes, Maria xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria. Your produce and baking sound wonderful and I'm sure those who receive it really enjoy it. It's lovely to share the things we grow, raise and make with other people. My son absolutely adores his Grandmother and she him. It's a really special relationship and one which both cherish. Take care and stay well too, Maria.
      MegXx

      Delete
  3. Meg, how lovely to be able to share your produce like that. My mum used to do that too years ago. Your mint is doing well. I repotted my Vietnamese mint a few weeks back and I think it may have died unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smell of this mint, Chel. I have common mint growing too but this is the first time I've grown Vietnamese mint. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. At our level the true meaning of friendship is everywhere, we share our good fortunes often and often are given gifts. Plus the acts of kindness an offer to pick up supplies at the store, looking for the item you often can't find (in our case flour) Simple acts when enhance daily life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are so right, Marlene. Little acts of kindness and caring for others, sharing what we have with one another, definitely enhances our lives. MegXx

      Delete
  5. I think to give is so much rewarding that receiving and I loved your blog today. We all need to be more generous of our time, our heart and our produce that we lovingly grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think sharing surplus when there is one is such a lovely thing as it builds connections with other people and opens up conversations about gardening and growing food. MegXx

      Delete
  6. Yes your gardens there are very generous! You are lucky! I like chocolate loaf cake! Yours looks delicious. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely chocolate cake, Andrea. Perfect for afternoon tea! Meg:)

      Delete
  7. It's lovely when you can swap home grown/ home made produce with others. I'm noticing this happening much more often recently. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed exchanges like these happening more often too, Jules. I think it's a lovely way to connect, share and build friendships with others in our communities. MegXx

      Delete
  8. How wonderful Meg, I love these kind of posts thank you for writing this for me to read today. It is a lovely way to connect and share.

    We love to eat our Nasturtium flowers they are really peppery and make a great addition to salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love nasturtiums! They are such pretty flowers and edible too! Last week, I popped into a local greengrocer and saw little tubs of edible flowers for sale. So expensive! MegXx

      Delete
  9. That's lovely, Meg. It must be fantastic to have those home baked goodies tucked in your freezer. Salvia grows very well here in Southern California, too. It's a beautiful plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salvias are so hardy, Stephanie, and so pretty. I have a very large Winter-flowering salvia in bloom now; the little birds love it large pink flowers. They bend the stems down while feaating in them. MegXx

      Delete
  10. This is a beautiful post Meg.

    Kindness and generosity is still very much alive. I loved how you made use of all your friends wonderful gifts.

    My salvia is slowly coming back to life after a good trim up earlier in the year. The bees will be happy. Your salvia puts mine to shame, it is absolutely stunning.

    Wishing you a very happy Sunday,
    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania. I find salvias always respond well to a very good 'haircut'. This one, in particular, is a favourite because it is so hardy and blooms for such a long time. I hope you have a lovely Sunday too. MegXx

      Delete