Saturday 3 October 2020

The Carlo Sand Blow at Rainbow Beach

As the view of the Carlo Sandblow opens up, at the end of the forest track that takes you up there, the sheer size of it takes your breath away.  A vast expanse of golden sand covers the landscape in every direction; a 15hectare sandy "moonscape" whose colours change along with daytime's light.

It's impossible to capture the enormity of the sandblow in one single photograph. Instead, your eyes travel along and across and down; taking in the length and breadth and depth of an incredible natural phenomenon:


From out on the sandblow, formed over thousands of years by strong on-shore winds blowing grains of sand up and inland (My mind boggles at just how many tiny individual grains of sand there would be!), the views are stunning:



We visited in the late afternoon, when the day's warmth and light were fading, and stayed for the setting of the sun. 



Our legs were weary indeed after exploring the sandblow; walking, running, jumping and climbing its expanse of fine, deep sand left us with the contented tiredness that days out in nature, at a place like this, send you home with.

Meg



19 comments:

  1. Beautiful images and we are so lucky to have such beautiful locations within driving distance of Brisbane. You legs would have got a work out walking up those sand hills. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Kathy. We really have been lucky to be able to travel locally and to enjoy a beautiful place like this. MegXx

      Delete
  2. Lovely views and a great place for sandboarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The views are stunning, Jan. I loved watching the setting sun and all the colours in the sand and sky as the light changed. MegXx

      Delete
  3. That's amazing! I would love to slide down, but I would have to take a tent and supplies, as I would be about a week walking back up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kath. It's great fun sliding down but the walking back up (to slide down all over again) is pretty heavy going in the sand. Meg:D

      Delete
  4. Hi Meg,

    the views are amazing and your photographs have captured them perfectly. The last two photos of the sunset are my favourites. Mother Nature never fails to impress.

    Thank you for sharing, Maria xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunset was stunning from up on the sandblow, Maria. The changing light, clouds and colours were so very beautiful. It's a very popular spot for watching the sun go down. MegXx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful sand! I would love to walk around in that! Beautiful skies also. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful experience walking over the sandblow, Andrea. It's very steep in some parts; our legs really got a workout! MegXx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos!!! As I sit here on the farm in GA, USA, I will try to appreciate the turning of the leaves, but I think I would love to be at a beach. I enjoy your blog. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann,

      We don't get a dramatic changing of leaf colour where I live. Our eucalypts and native trees are mostly evergreen. All the leaves turning must be a very beautiful way to begin the new season.

      I'm glad you loved the photos and enjoy reading here too.

      MegXx

      Delete
  7. Oh, it looks so amazing, Meg. Gorgeous photos and description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. It is an amazing place to explore and take in the views.
      MegXx

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos!!! I am in GA, USA beginning to enjoy beauty of Fall leaves!! Thanks for sharing your life!! Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are enjoying the turning of the fall leaves now, Mary Ann. The Spring weather here is gorgeous, warm and balmy, but before too long the heat of Summer will arrive and then I'll be wilting! MegXx

      Delete
  9. Absolutely stunning. I've just today been thinking I must visit the beach very soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to the beach soon, Jules. I love days at the beach; they are full of sun and sand and sky and water. MegXx

      Delete
  10. Oh, it looks spectacular, Meg. I love your photo. So glad that you were able to get out in nature. It's uplifting for the spirit.

    ReplyDelete