Friday 19 August 2016

The Sweetest Sweet Peas

A little bit of beautiful has bloomed in my garden today. The first sweet pea blossoms have opened, all delicate and pure white! I have breathed in deeply their spellbinding fragrance and paused a while to remember the trellises of them that my grandparents grew. I picked a few stems too just so that I can catch glimpses of them, and drifts of their sublime perfume, when I'm not out in the garden.

A little bunch of the sweetest sweet peas.

Sweet peas are my favourite flowers. The wait for them to bloom, after planting months before,  feels long but when they flower they are, in my humble opinion, beyond compare!  They simply make my spirits soar. A day when one picks their own little bunch of the sweetest sweet peas cannot possibly be anything other than wonderful!

Oh, my! Blues and whites and greens on old linen.

I have put my little white sweet peas in a tiny, deep blue glass bottle from times gone by. Sitting atop an embroidered linen cloth, stitched long ago in flowers of blue and leaves of green, these old-fashioned blooms hark back to simpler times. Tiny, delicate sweet peas and tiny, delicate stitches. My kind of beautiful!

I hope you have the loveliest of weekends. Perhaps you'll catch the scent of sweet peas, or another delicate flower, on the breeze.

Meg














4 comments:

  1. Can you believe I have never smelled a sweet pea!
    No one I know ever grew them.
    Hmmm...I may have to grow them one day just to know what you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should definitely plant some in your garden next year, Cheryl. They are so very lovely...I think you'd like them! Meg:)

      Delete
  2. What time of year should I plant them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can plant sweet peas anytime in Autumn but I wait until April when the heat is fading. Most varieties need a trellis to climb up. When you buy seeds or seedlings, go for a variety that is highly perfumed, their fragrance is so beautiful!

      Delete