Monday 18 December 2017

Yarn Star Tags

Simple stars, formed in crochet cottons, make sweet Christmas gift tags. They would also make lovely little ornaments for a  festive tree. 🎄

 A 12-point yarn star.

On a circle of recycled cardboard, with little slits cut in at regular intervals, it is quite quick to weave these stellar shapes. The number of points the resulting star has depends upon the number of slits cut into the cardboard circle. I made 12-point stars and 16-point stars. This is the tutorial I followed to make these woven stars. It was very easy to follow and they would be a lovely craft project for older children too. 

To "jazz up" the cardboard circle, you could spray paint it gold or silver. (I did but it is not showing up very well in the photos.) Another option would be to use white card as this would certainly be a crisp contrast to the colour of the cottons. Variegated yarn looks pretty too!

A more complex 16-point star.

The yarn stars we've made will adorn our gifts this year. A little extra handmade for Christmas. 

Meg





10 comments:

  1. They are just too cute! It's probably too late for me to make any before this Christmas, but I will try and remember them for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get the hang of them, they are pretty quick to make. I just used cardboard from the top of an old box as it needs to have some thickness to it so it doesn't curl as the yarn is wound around it. Meg:)

      Delete
  2. I love them Meg, they remind me of those patterned pictures made on a black fabric background, with fine craft nails hammered in and vibrant coloured thread, threaded around them to make wonderful geometric patterns. I am probably not explaining it very well, but they were all the go in the 70’s. I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that you are refreshed and well rested, ready for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a child of the 70s, I remember those nail and thread artworks too, Fiona! Our holiday was lovely and we are having a relaxed return to our regular life as most of the xmas making and shopping is done now. I hope you are feeling better today. Meg:)

      Delete
  3. They look great..and so simple too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very simple, Kathy and quite a nice touch on a gift. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Very cute stars, Meg. I will give them a try. Hope you had a peaceful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chel. It was so nice to be back on Straddie island again but it's also nice to be home. The garden thrived in all the rain while we were away ... there's cherry tomatoes everywhere! Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing these Meg. I have been looking for simple, handmade Christmas decoration ideas and these are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like making them, Jan. Once you get the hang of it, they are very quick to make. Meg:)

      Delete