Monday 19 February 2018

Escaping the Heat in the Hinterland

During a week of soaring temperatures, we headed an hour or so north, up to the Hinterland of our Sunshine Coast. While it was very hot everywhere, and those further west certainly felt the worst of it, we found the cooling shade of the trees and refreshing water of local creeks a welcome relief from the heat. 

 A green and shady "umbrella" of trees.

The cool, gurgling water of the Obi Obi Creek, Maleny.

Fresh, clear water.

 Gardeners Falls and rock pool.

Old trees casting shade in the paddocks.

A hazy view over the Glasshouse Mountains.

A dizzying drop from the  Mapleton Falls Lookout.

A trickle of water runs over Mapleton Falls.

The lush, green Obi Obi valley.

Walking and picnicking under an umbrella of green, the cooling and calming colour of nature, was a lovely way to escape the heat for a while.

Meg




























14 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous place and how lucky are you to live so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful part of the world, Jan. I remember it was one of the first places I visited when I first moved to Brisbane as a uni student and was homesick. I love the area around Maleny because, with its small town and lush, green dairying surrounds, it reminds me of the Atherton Tablelands where I grew up.

      Delete
  2. Meg, how I love looking at the Glasshouse Mountains! It has cooled down here thankfully after such a long time of sustained heat. I think everyone feels washed out. Roll on Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very hazy view looking out over the mountains, Chel. Heat haze I think! The sustained heat has been really challenging for many, lots of people looking forward to Autumn I think! Enjoy these cooler days. Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos. I love mountains. Thanks for sharing Meg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hinterland is a beautiful place to explore, Nil. The air is always that little bit crisper and the views are stunning. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. that is certainly a beautiful area; so miss living there along that ridge of cool mountains.
    lovely photos
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to live up in the Hinterland, Selina. It reminds me so much of the Atherton Tablelands where I grew up. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. I love the Glasshouse Mountains...so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful view looking out towards the Glasshouse Mountains from Mary Cairncross Park near Maleny. Such a lovely area. Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Sounds a wonderful break, here in UK it's cold and wet, normal for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could use some of your cold weather, Marlene. A little snow would be nice! Meg:)

      Delete
  7. Love your photos Meg....the old tree in the paddock is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the old trees, Suzie. There will often be cows lazily grazing in their shade on hot days. Meg:)

      Delete