Wednesday 28 February 2018

Roasted Carrot & Quinoa Bake

I adore roasted carrots and I'm fond of fluffy quinoa so I was always going to love this delicious dish. A flavourful and nutritious bake, all roasted in the one tin, makes a perfectly simple meal just as it is or a lovely side dish. Leftovers most definitely make for a healthy lunch salad the next day too! 

Simple & delicious!

There are roasted parsnips along with carrots in Rukmini Iyer's original recipe from her cookbook, "The Roasting Tin:  Simple One Dish Dinners". While I don't mind parsnips, I didn't have any so I just roasted plenty of delicious carrots instead! Here's how it came together in my kitchen:

Carrot & Quinoa Bake

4 - 5 large carrots
2 cloves garlic
fresh rosemary, 2 sprigs 
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon honey
salt & pepper
120g quinoa, thoroughly rinsed 
350ML boiling water
lemon

1.   Preheat oven to 180C.

2.   Peel carrots and halve lengthwise then cut into long chunks.

3.   Put carrots in a roasting dish with crushed garlic, chopped rosemary, bay, olive oil & 
       honey. 

4.   Toss together with your hands so carrots coated in herbed & honeyed oil. Season with
       salt & pepper.

5.   Bake, uncovered, for approximately 40minutes. 

6.   Remove from oven. Carefully mix in rinsed quinoa and boiling water making sure you 
      loosen all the caramelised goodness from the bottom of your roasting tin.

7.   Cover with foil and return to the oven to roast for further 20minutes.

8.   Remove from the oven and lift off the foil. Fluff up the quinoa with a fork and then leave
      for a further five minutes. 

9.   Serve with a wedge of lemon so it's lovely juice can be squeezed over the top. 

This beautifully simple bake can be served with peppery rocket, as it is in the cookbook, or you could mix in some baby peas, bright green and sweet, instead.  Either way, it's delicious!

Meg



13 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious, Meg. It is cool enough to turn the oven on once again so I will give that recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cooler weather is wonderful, isn't it! I hope you enjoy the carrot and quinoa bake when you make it, Chel. It was quite lovely. Meg

      Delete
  2. I'd definitely be packing that for people's lunches, because it looks so good and healthy. Speaking of which, I had carrots cooked in butter and honey, for lunch today. What a coincidence to discover what you had on your table too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrots are one of my favourite vegetables, Chris, so it was nice to discover a new recipe where I could use them. We love honey carrots too, I put a bit of seeded mustard in with the butter and honey when I make them. Yum!

      Delete
  3. I love carrots, too. They are so versatile. Your recipe looks delicious. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore carrots, Stephenie. I eat at least one carrot every single day - full of fibre and nutrients that are so good for you! My favourite snack is raw carrot sticks with hommus and I love them roasted too. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. mmm it sounds delicious. I have everything to make this, so I'll try this weekend. Thanks Meg. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you really enjoy it Nil. I wrote the recipe out into my recipe notebook so it's a keeper! Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Goodmorning Meg,
    What a lovely recipe, so delicious and what a great way to cook quinoa. Have a lovely day,
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Fi! I had never cooked quinoa this way before either so it was lovely to discover a new method ... especially one where it all comes together in the one dish. Have a lovely day too! Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Thankyou Meg, thankyou for sharing this lovely recipe, I am going to print it out and try it sometime very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you really enjoy it, Marlene. Will you make it with some roasted parsnips as well as carrots? Meg

      Delete
    2. I don't have any parsnips in, but I have plenty of carrots, our son doesn't like parsnips so I will stick with the carrots this time.

      Delete