Friday 2 March 2018

A Walk Along an Island Foreshore

Crossing the Bribie Island Bridge, that takes you from the mainland, across the protected waters of the Pumicestone Passage, to the island on the other side feels like a slow exhale to me.  A walk always awaits; a chance to breathe in the fresh air and see the sea.  My most recent walk here, on a windy day in February, took me along a section of foreshore that was calm and breezy and peaceful.


Bribie's  Bridge. 

A row of little red "tinnies" .

 Boats bobbing on the waves.

 Large, shady gums.

Pretty purple flowers. 

Gorgeous greens & greys

Mangroves on the shoreline.

Pigface tendrils in the sand.

Four feathery fellows. 
(I just love the antics of these birds!)

A peaceful view towards the mountains.

As I walked, the Glasshouse Mountain peaks filled my view, enveloped in a curtain of cloud. These iconic Sunshine Coast mountains stand tall on the distant horizon, connecting the waters of the passage with the land. The waves, for a windy day, were fairly calm and gently lapping the shore. Little boats bobbed up and down upon them like corks. 

Pelicans gathered in one spot, their black and white feathers ruffled by the wind. I love to see these birds for they seem such funny characters. Did you know a group of pelicans can be called a scoop? I think that's very apt considering the fish they scoop up into their bills and hold in their net-like pouches of such delicate pink. I'm not sure Bribie's fishing folk quite see them as endearingly as I do given they are always on the hunt for a free meal!

While the colours of my windy day walk were muted by the cloud above, this offered up its own beauty; a contrast to the strong light and blinding brightness of an Australian beach in Summer. 

Meg




10 comments:

  1. What a lovely walk, you are so blessed to live in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always feel so thankful that I can visit places like this easily and often. I live to be outside in nature. Meg🌿

      Delete
  2. Meg, I have only been to Bribie once when my friend took a wrong turn on the way to Caloundra but it was a nice mistake to make. It is very peaceful there I must say. I think a lot of people retire to there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a happy wrong turn to make, Chel! A lot of retirees do live on Bribie and I always think how lovely to spend those later years of life close to the sea. Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Bribie is my Mum's favourite place....the kids and I had fish and chips there in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love to have fish and chip picnics on Bribie. Nothing like spreading out a blanket in the little park at Woorim Beach, having a leisurely lunch and then staying until almost dark down on the beach. What a joy! Meg🏖

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, we are looking at snow, loads covering everywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine such a white and frosty view can be quite lovely, Marlene. It never snows where I live! Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Ahh, nature. It's wonderful that you take advantage of this peaceful setting. Thanks for sharing your photos and talent for writing. Love the pelicans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephenie. It is a beautiful place to be, to walk with sunshine on your shoulders. I could watch pelicans for hours, they are fascinating birds. Meg:)

      Delete