Saturday 22 September 2018

Making It Count

How often do you eat out or get take away food? It's a pretty rare thing around here but, when I do decide to indulge, I make it count!

My "Once-in-a-Blue-Moon" Breakfast. Yum!

This last week of school term has been a big week!  School concert night is no small thing so there has been op-shop browsing for costume clobber, evening sewing to add final little touches to said costume (It is not always easy to attach cute little piglet ears to a hat!), an after-school dress rehearsal and then a long and very late drive home after the wonderful performance itself. 

The sparkle of a much-anticipated event!

This late night was way too quickly followed up by the 'turn-around' drive back up to school the next morning. I was pretty sure when I woke up yesterday that I had only just, in fact, gone to sleep!! So, after dropping off my beautiful boy, together with the homemade cake for shared last-day-of-term morning tea, I decided I was in need of a long sit still and some sustenance before heading back to school for the special end-of-term assembly. So, I found myself a quiet table in a bustling little cafe and ordered a late breakfast I would never make for myself. And then I breathed out. Whew!

Something warm &  frothy to drink!

The joy in a once-in-a-blue-moon treat like this, for me, is that it is not a regular thing. It is a hardly ever thing.  That means I truly appreciated it for the rarity it was. I made it count by patronising a little local business and not a multinational purveyor of 24 hour drive-through "food?" I chose a nourishing meal, with lots of healthy veg. (There is actually a delicious vegetable rosti under the bacon, avocado and peas ... and I couldn't not have haloumi. I đŸ’—haloumi!) I ate. it. slowly. and thoroughly enjoyed it while watching the world go by through the windows of the cafe that frame the street outside. I ate all of it, no waste of food or money left on my plate.  And I did not need lunch!  

I left the little cafe quite content after my once-in-a-blue-moon brekkie. How about you? What rare treats do you indulge in and how do you make them count?

Meg


















18 comments:

  1. That breakfast looks delicious! Good for you for taking some time for yourself and thoroughly enjoying it. I like to take myself out for lunch on the odd occasion with my journal for company and enjoy something tasty that I haven't prepared myself. x Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious, Susan, and I really made sure I took the time to enjoy it. Lunch out with time and space for journal writing sounds lovely too. Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. The breakfast and the (later) drink look so good and pretty. That's why you enjoy it so much...because you don't often do it. But really....both look really fresh and fancy! In a rural area where we live now, there are not any places that have special foods (that are also healthy) like that. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can be hard sometimes to find fresh and healthy food while out and about, Andrea. The little cafe where I had my brekkie is the only one I know of in the area that serves this type of food. It can get quite busy so I was lucky to get a little table to myself. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Good on you, Meg. Glad you enjoyed your brekky. I can't stomach a meal like that for breakfast so usually end up with the usual raisin toast if my son wants to have a big breakfast at a cafe. I had Eggs Benedict once and felt sick for the rest of the day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty late breakfast, Chel, but I was really hungry! I wouldn't eat this much at home but I do still try to have something substantial with some veg in there somewhere. It's funny how some people can do big brekkies and others need to wait longer before eating. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely treat for you it looks so good, we don't have treats that often after all if you have it all the time it's not really a treat is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! A treat like this just once in a while makes it different to the everyday and a bit special. Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Oh how yummy that breakfast looks. Our occasional treat is a meal at a pretty little village pub. The food is superb and the service is lovely. Not one of these cheap and nasty pub meals that are so frequently served.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your little village pub sounds like a lovely place for a meal, Cherie. A place that serves good food, cooked well and with lots of fresh ingredients, is a real find! Meg:)

      Delete
  7. We always would eat out when in town, lovely lunches, but we have stopped shopping so often and started using our local bistro most weekends, a bad habit, now we only go occasionally and enjoy a nice lunch. It is so nice to stop just for a while and enjoy a simple meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice lunch occasionally sounds lovely, Marlene. We don't really go out for lunch much at all but I do meet a friend for dinner a couple of times a year and we usually have some delicious Thai food at a lovely restaurant. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful cup of frothy coffee! I wait until my cruise to eat at restaurants. I cook and bake at home the rest of the time. Now that the weather is cooler, it's such a pleasure to be making hot meals again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be lovely to enjoy beautiful restaurant meals when you are cruising. Something to really look forward to when you are travelling. I don't typically drink coffee but I decided to try a mocha because I was so tired and thought the coffee in it might wake me a bit. It was definitely a very pretty cup! Meg:)

      Delete
  9. Oh Meg, your breakfast looks absolutely delicious.
    You are so right about appreciating something more when it's a rarity. I don't eat out often, and when I do I always go to a small restaurant.
    My favorite is a small French restaurant where food is a bit expensive , but very good. The chef and the server are husband and wife, and she always has time to chat with regular customers.
    I go there every 3-4 months or so when I have school breaks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your favourite restaurant sounds lovely, Nil. It's nice to have a treat after what are no doubt very busy school terms. There used to be a little Swiss restaurant not far from here, run by a husband and wife team, which was such a lovely place to eat too. Meg:)

      Delete
  10. It's taken me a while to finally catch up with some favourite blogs, and it seems you've been mighty busy! I remember taking my daughter to a dance concert, she'd practiced hard for - but for some reason they decided to let all the grown up kids go first, and let the youngest ones go last. The poor mights were dropping from sleep deprivations, lol. But your little evening out, reminded me of it. I know that coffee and breakfast, was more a necessity than a luxury! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a necessity, Chris. I just needed to sit still for a while. I don't usually drink coffee but I was so tired I decided I'd go for a mocha as I needed something to wake me up! Meg:)

      Delete