Friday 28 February 2020

Such beautiful paintings

Many years ago now, I saw a painting, in a little city gallery, by an artist I'd never heard of before. In the most beautifully dappled colours, he had captured the changing light from tall tree shade to reflections by water's edge and the explorations of meandering children along the bank. It reminded me of long and free Summer days spent in waterholes and by creek beds in the place where I grew up. I couldn't afford to buy that painting, even though I so very much wanted to, but I've never forgotten the beauty of it and the memory and feeling it left me with. The artist was Dale Marsh and I have been enthralled by his paintings ever since.

Dale Marsh's beautifully dappled colours.
(Detail from The Overgrown Garden, 1985.)

I didn't know it then, but it is his work that features on the giant mural that welcomes you to Bribie Island. Children running, full of joy, down a sand dune greet you as you drive off the bridge and onto the island. Dale Marsh loves this island, referring to it as the "cradle to my soul and the inspiration of my life". He is now 80years old and still painting this place that means so much to him. 

Bribie Island's welcoming mural.
(Image credit:  The Bribie Islander)

A deep love of place.
(Dale Marsh, 2019)

So it was to Bribie, for which Dale Marsh feels such affection, that I drove last Sunday to see Catching the Light, an exhibition of his work at the island's little seaside museum. Paintings inspired by and of the island adorned the walls of a light-filled gallery that looks out upon a view of the sea. Older paintings and more recent paintings and all so very beautiful.

Catching the Light Exhibition Booklet. 

In the quiet gallery, I spent much time with each and every painting. Looking up close at the brushstrokes and dabs of colour, layers of them, and then from distance to see the painting in its wholeness and wonder. 

 Detail from Morning Ramble at Red Beach
(Dale Marsh, 2016)

Detail from Reflections on a Posy. 
(Dale Marsh, 2014)

I think a deep connection to place, like that which Dale Marsh feels for Bribie Island and which inspires his incredible paintings still, is important for all of us; a love so profound that it gives us a home to drop anchor in and a safe harbour to come back to. Perhaps, that is what I felt when I saw that painting all those years ago now. I recognised "home" reflected in its dappled colours and in its light.

Meg








  


20 comments:

  1. I started reading your blog post and when you mentioned the name of the painter I thought, that name seems familiar and then I saw your picture of the big mural of the kids at Bribie Island and I knew who you were talking about. My best friends Dad and his wife lived at Bribie Island and we used to visit them for lunch. I remember when the big mural was installed. I would even have photos printed from my Canon AE1 film camera of that big mural sitting in a shoe box. It was a long long time ago and I still remember when it went up. So lovely that you went to the exhibition his work is beautiful. We used to love going to Bribie as my friends Dad used to go fishing and caught lots of fish in his neighbours boat and he had a big veggie garden out the back with fresh veggies. To this day I still remember how amazing those veggies and fish from the ocean tasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have lovely memories of Bribie, Kathy. There's nothing as good as fresh, local food like the fish and veg you had as a child visiting Bribie. Isn't it funny how we can have a memory of tastes like that.

      I was so glad that I got to see this exhibition. I happened upon information about it the day before it was to finish. I got to see the paintings on the very last day of the exhibit.

      I still can't afford to buy one of Dale Marsh's paintings but I was so happy when I asked if I could take photos and was told that I was allowed to. So, I have more than a memory this time of this beautiful work. Meg:)

      Delete
    2. That was a good find. I want to take the kids to the Bribie Island Butterfly House I think it's on the left hand side of the bridge. They have funny opening hours however it will be a nice day trip on the holidays.

      Delete
    3. ps..go left after going over the bridge to Bribie

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures and impressive he is still painting - I particularly like the last one but then I do love a splash of orange.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's wonderful too that Dale Marsh is still painting. I read that he knew he wanted to paint, to be an artist, from a very young age.

      The last photograph is detail of just from just one corner of a much larger work. So many colours! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. I've seen some of these paintings.....and the mural....but didn't know the artist's name, so thanks Meg. His work is so evocative and seems to hold all our childhood memories of a carefree time and "home", and the colours and light of SE Qland. I have great memories of time spent at Bribie too, as a kid and in my teens, but haven't been for years, it'll be different now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have such fond memories of Bribie, Nanette. I love to visit the island on quieter days and take myself off for long walks along the beach or up to the bridge and beyond. MegXx

      Delete
  4. How utterly beautiful. I would happily have any of those hanging in my home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are so beautiful, Cherie. I really loved being able to spend as much time as I wanted to looking at the paintings and all the brushstrokes and dabs of colour. Magical! Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Lovely paintings, Meg. I have only been to Bribie once and that was when my friend took the wrong turn to the Sunshine Coast. LOL! I would love to go back there and have a good look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bribie is a great place to visit, Chel. I hope you get to visit again one day. Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this beautiful artwork Meg. I can see why you would be drawn to it there is something really special about the way he paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was filled with joy at being able to spend as much time as I wanted with these beautiful paintings. Such unhurried bliss! Meg:)

      Delete
  7. Wow! I love his combination of colors. Those are just lovely, Meg. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The layers of colour are just incredible, Stephanie. I loved being able to stand so close and see the texture of the paints and the dabs of the brush and then stand back to see the paintings in their entirety. I chose to take photographs of tiny sections of paintings rather than try to fit whole paintings into my camera frame. I wanted to remember the colours up close. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. Loved this writing. The photos of these paintings with your words were soothing to my soul. It has been a cold, harsh winter here in GA, USA, I needed this kind of writing & pictures. THanks so much for sharing. Mary ANn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary Ann. I am glad that my snippets of these beautiful paintings have brought you warmth and light. Here, the days are shortening slightly and we are waiting for Autumn to come. May your Spring arrive soon too. MegXx

      Delete
  9. The artist's use of colour is beautiful. I'm not surprised you wished to buy the painting you first saw. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish I'd been able to buy that painting, Jules. I fell in love with it! Meg:)

      Delete