Friday 10 April 2020

First Hot Cross Buns

Hot cross buns, warm and fresh from my oven, were my Easter imaginings very early on this Good Friday morning. These imaginings ignored my somewhat hopeless record when making breads, rolls or buns that require yeast, kneading and proving. On the very few occasions I have attempted this bread-making caper, I have ended up with a variety of rocks shaped like loaves. Once, when I actually managed to get a dough to rise after placing it in a sunny spot at the top of my front steps, the whole thing managed to roll itself down to the bottom. That certainly knocked ALL the air out of it! But I promptly forgot all this in the midst of my imaginings this morning and this was the result...

A half dozen little hot cross buns.

While one has to ignore the less-than-uniform shape of these little Easter buns and imagine more defined crosses on their tops, made with a paste of flour and water, they are otherwise delicious. They are very light, not the least bit rocky and the little choc-chips inside, which are my substitute for the sultanas and mixed peel that we do not favour, are just sweet enough. With their shiny glaze of a little local honey on top, they are a step in the right direction along my bread-baking road and I couldn't be happier about that given my previous attempts.


 Mixing the dough in my favourite big bowl.

A little ball of dough after kneading on my kitchen bench.

Ready to place in warm spot to rise. 

Light & fluffy dough after hours in the oven.

There could very well have been a different outcome of hot cross rocks. Today is not ideal for baking bread. It's actually overcast, showery and cold so there was no warm sunshine in which to sit my dough to rise. (Tomorrow, it's meant to be 31C, but I could not wait.I ditched the first sachet of yeast, declaring it dead, and used one that smelt like beer when I opened the packet. It seemed like a good omen. I followed Jamie Oliver's recipe, for if I was going to bake buns then I decided I'd rely on an expert. All was kneading together nicely until the time came to cover my little ball of spiced dough, all round and smooth and sitting in my favourite bowl (that seemed like a good omen too) and find somewhere warm for it to rise. I covered it and carefully carried it downstairs and under the house to sit it on top of our hot water system and then realised there was no heat coming off that towering tank of water. So, in desperation, I put it in my oven. Thankfully, I only preheated it to 30C because I subsequently read, while fretting that it wouldn't rise, that yeast begins to die at around 45C. I let my dough sit in the warmth of the oven, switched off and door closed, for a lot longer than the hour recommended. I left it for more like three hours and, despite my 'best' efforts, it rose!  


Dark chocolate chips instead of dried fruits.

After such a long wait, I very happily  kneaded in those chocolate chips, made six little buns and left them to rise once more which, to my amazement, they did! While they were baking, their scrumptious scent wafted through the house. They emerged from the oven golden on top and all soft on the inside. Enjoyably edible and not in the least bit like rocks. Yes!

One sweet little hot cross bun.

Tomorrow, I am going to bake these hot cross buns again for they are now all gone. I'll see if I can shape them a little more uniformly and perhaps I'll pipe those crosses on instead of painting them on with the edge of a spoon. And, with a 31C day forecast, I should have plenty of warm spots for the dough to rise in though I won't be resting it at the top of my front stairs!

Have you been baking for Easter?

Meg

























28 comments:

  1. Glad they tasted great Meg, I made turkish bread today [and my friend also made hers for the first time today] and my proving time was longer on the second rise and I kept my dough inside as it was cooler today than when I made it last time. I'm going to make another batch of Hot Cross Buns maybe on Sunday and this time I'll keep an eye on the oven so I don't over cook the tops. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dough took a long time to rise today, Kathy, but I am hoping it won't take as long if I put it out in the sun tomorrow. The recipe itself was really easy and the buns were really soft and light. I hope to improve my bread-making skills little by little and learn as I go along. Meg:)

      Delete
    2. You will....and yes tomorrow is going to be 30 degrees.

      Delete
  2. I was about to comment just how amazing they look, but that I wouldn't be able to enjoy them as I dislike mixed peel. So, to discover they are, in fact, full of chocolate chips has my mouth watering. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate chips are lovely in these hot cross buns, Jules. Little puddles of warm dark chocolate! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Love hot cross buns, the spicier the better, I always add extra. Check out John Kirkwoods videos on you tube, he has some excellent recipes, clearly explained and demonstrated. His hot cross buns and cheese scones are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eleanor. I will definitely check out those videos as I am trying to improve with making breads and buns at home. It's a skill I really need to work on. I was really pleased that these buns were light and soft inside.
      Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Your buns look so nice! And chocolate chips...we are a big fan of that addition! Have a blessed Good Friday. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate chips are a popular addition here, Andrea. These little buns have very minimal sugar so they are not too sweet.
      I still put in spices, like cinnamon, too.

      I hope you have a lovely Easter time too. MegXx


      Delete
  5. Hi Meg,

    well done with the Hot Cross Buns -they look lovely.

    I always make Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday. Today I made a batch of 22 that should be enough for us to enjoy over the Easter Weekend. They freeze well and then can be toasted or warmed slightly after they thaw out. I like them with a small amount of butter but my family spreads butter and home-made apricot jam on them.

    Have a lovely Easter Meg. Happy baking. Best wishes, Maria xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of freezing them, Maria. I only made a half dozen as I didn't want to waste ingredients, like flour, if they flopped. I will make a full dozen today and freeze some.

      May you have a lovely Easter time too. MegXx

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you finally had a successful baking session Meg. I have had many a disaster myself so I know how disheartening it can be, it doesn't stop me from trying though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relief, Jan, as I wasn't sure the dough would rise properly. Glad the result was delicious and edible! Meg:)

      Delete
  7. Make sure you watch Jamie Olivers new show "Jamie Keep Cooking and Carry on" - it's using pantry staples and swapping ingredients in recipes during this time of home isolation and sometimes limited grocery items. It's on Channel 10 can't remember which day maybe Thursday night 7.30? Just check the TV guide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, they look delicious.

    Not for Easter, but I’ve been making no-knead bread lately. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must learn how to make no-knead bread too, Nil. I am aiming to make wholemeal bread rolls next. MegXx

      Delete
  9. Loved your little bun baking story Meg.....well done for perservering, they look delicious....although if I was coming to tea, I hope you'd make some with fruit and spices 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely make some with dried fruits for you, Nanette. MegXx

      Delete
  10. Your buns looks delicious Meg. Well done on your success, only way is up from here.

    Happy Easter,
    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania. I hope you've had a happy Easter Sunday at home.
      MegXx

      Delete
  11. Hello Meg! These look delicious! I'm cheating this year and have bought our hot cross buns - but I'm ok with that. Time has been taken up with bottling loads of apples for winter desserts which is a good thing too, yes!!?
    I'm looking forward to spending some time catching up with old blog friends during our 'home time' ;) Nice to read about your happenings!
    Sending autumn breezes to you from Tassie - Evi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Evi. Having apples to bottle sounds wonderful. I adore apple desserts and especially during Winter when there's apple pie or apple crumble or apple cake to enjoy with warm homemade custard!! I hope you've had a lovely Easter time down in the beautiful Tassie. MegXx

      Delete
  12. Meg, good job. I must admit I have been buying my hot cross buns which are probably full of rubbish unfortunately. I haven't been baking for Easter as I find I am eating too much anyway with being at home all the time., Have a Happy Easter with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. I made another batch of these hot cross buns yesterday (Easter Sunday) and, while the dough didn't seem to rise any higher, I did achieve a more uniform shape and more distinct crosses on top. Learning as I go along! I think these homemade buns are far less sweet than store bought. They have very little sugar except for the chocolate chips. I hope you are enjoying Easter time with your family too. MegXx

      Delete
  13. Those look wonderful Meg. I always use my oven for proving dough. Pop a shallow bowl of boiling water, in the very bottom to create humidity in the oven too. This stops the dough from drying out. I put my oven on 50 degrees C (fan-forced) for 5-10 minutes - bowl of water in. Place covered dough on middle shelf, then switch off the oven. Leave door closed for the hour it usually takes to rise. I find, the cold bowl takes the heat without cooking the dough. And because you've switched it off, the temperature drops over the hour. I hope you and the family are enjoying your Easter. Although it's starting to feel like a permanent vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing how you use your oven to prove dough, Chris. I will try this next time I want to bake on an overcast, cooler day. We have had a lovely Easter Sunday here at home and hope your family has enjoyed your Easter days too. MegXx

      Delete
  14. Hi Meg,
    Happy Easter.
    I too made my first proper successful hot cross buns that were besuriful this year.
    Yours look lovely and next year I will add choc chips to a batch too, they sound delicious.
    Hope you are keeping safe and well
    Best wishes to you and your family from us and ours.
    Tske care
    Cheers
    Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jane. Happy Easter to you and your family too. I'm sure your homemade hot cross buns were a lovely treat. Isn't it so satisfying seeing that dough rise (I was so worried mine wouldn't after I put it in the oven) and the sweet little buns coming out of the oven. I know mine weren't perfect but I was so happy they were soft and delicious - unlike most of my baking efforts. Hope you are keeping safe and well and happy at home too. MegXx

      Delete