Monday 6 April 2020

Sourcing Fresh Fruit & Veg

Judging by how difficult it is right now to buy seedlings or to source seeds, there are a lot of people having-a-go at growing some of their own food. I think that's a really positive thing!  I've always tried, with varying levels of success, to grow some of our own produce in our own garden. Homegrown is as local as it gets, we don't use chemicals or sprays in the garden, it saves us some money and it's super-fresh. A store-bought cucumber just can't compete with one picked off its vine, rinsed under the hose and munched on in the garden. 


Eggplant in the veg patch.

Snow pea seedlings starting to grow.

In our garden, there's always lots of herbs like rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley and oregano to pick and bay leaves too from our tree in its pot. This year, the Ceylon spinach thrived once the rain fell regularly later in the Summer. So too the sweet potato vine which is busy twining its tendrils up and around a nearby grevillea at the moment. (I really must get down and see just what it's up to.) There always seems to be spring onion growing happily in our veg patch and I've recently planted lettuce, rainbow chard, perpetual spinach, beetroot, snow peas, two types of cherry tomato and one lone eggplant in with it. There are mandarins on our one-and-only fruit tree (for I managed to extinguish the lemon tree and the avocado didn't survive the dry months before the rain came) but they are nowhere near ripe yet. This all adds up to the promise of some homegrown produce to come, but even if all this thrives (and doesn't get gobbled up by caterpillars or grasshoppers) we still need to source more fruits and vegetables.


Ceylon Spinach growing well.
(The young leaves are delicious in omelettes.)

 A mandarin beginning to ripen on our tree.

Farmers markets are too crowded a place to be during these times of social distancing and a little local shop, where I used to be able to buy some lovely produce closed late last year. Our dear neighbour, who was the most amazing gardener I've ever known and who would share so much produce, and accept my baking and treats in return, moved away a couple of years ago. It was a sad day indeed when the new people turfed over his veggie patch. I mourned the waste of that rich soil and the loss of such a generous and knowledgeable neighbour-gardener to learn from and trade with. 


Self-seeded sweet basil.

So, when I saw the vibrant selection of spray-free fresh fruit and veg that Kathy, over at Our Simple and Meaningful Life, received in her online-ordered box, I decided this might be a good solution for us and ordered one too.  I picked it up on the weekend, from a collection point a very short drive from here, and brought home my spray-free fruit and veg. Just a small box this week, to supplement what we already had left in our crispers, plus a dozen eggs and one sweet pineapple as extras.


 Fresh & Nutritious 

Everything is fragrant and fresh. It's mostly local produce, picked not long before it was delivered and packed without plastic besides the extra eggs in their carton. The carrots are delicious. (Yes, I taste tested them.) I've never had any success with growing carrots. I don't know why but it means I always have to buy them and I'm rather fussy about my carrots. I am not a fan of limp, bitter or woody carrots. Both Sir Steve dog and I are very enthusiastic fans of crunchy, sweet carrots. 🥕 We are both quite content crunching away like Bugs Bunny on the carrots from the box though only one of us sounds like a sloshing washing machine while snacking  .... and it's not me, folks!





While the carrots are for snacking, they'll also be grated for salads made with the lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes. One of those potatoes was thinly sliced and, together with cream just past its use-by date, made a creamy potato bake for dinner last night.  The other potato will end up roasted along with the pumpkin. The zucchini and the corn will be used up in a zucchini slice later in the week and the large onion will find its way into lots of evening meals. The pears and the apples are for snacks and the pineapple is destined for pizzas.  No waste! Peelings for the compost and the worm farm! 

I'll be ordering another box of fruit and veg soon. It seems to me a good solution for us right now. How are you sourcing fresh produce for your table?

Meg

30 comments:

  1. So glad you ordered your veggie box and particularly now since I too don't want to venture to any farmers markets. As much as I would like to support them the whole social distancing scares me and I'm staying at home as much as possible. We are having zucchini slice for dinner tonight that I cooked on the weekend with the zucchini and some carrot as well however you have given me an idea for potato bake tonight as well because I have some cream. Make sure you set a reminder on your phone to order Monday midday as it's best to order early so you don't miss out. I couldn't get over the size of the lettuce, it was like 3 lettuces in one it was so big. I also like that we are supporting a small family business and the local farmers...it makes me feel good. Have a good week. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy with the produce in my box, Kathy. I'm going to menu plan around what fruit/veg comes in the box. For now, I will continue to pick up my box at the collection point but may, depending on what happens, switch to home delivery if need be. It is lovely to support a local family business; especially because so many small businesses are finding this time so very difficult. Enjoy your potato bake! Meg:)

      Delete
  2. Hi Meg. That fresh produce box sounds just the job. We are still working our way through a huge fresh veg box that we bought nearly two weeks ago. I will be putting another order in next week and keeping my fingers crossed that I can get one. Please stay safe and well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be able to get fresh fruit and veg when you need it, Cherie. I'm hoping my veg in the garden grows healthily and also have a few tins of peas, corn, beans, pears and peaches in my pantry should there come a time when fresh produce is difficult to source. So far, that's not really been the case here where I live. Take care! Megxx

      Delete
  3. ps...because I am ordering fortnightly I'm not ordering the veggies today however make sure you jump on midday today to order your box for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still use the main supermarket in town as they are the only place I can buy organic produce. So far we have been lucky as the price is always dearer it is usually the last to go. Farm shops here are few and far between and don't really sell organic produce. Your little box of fruit and veg looks lovely. I am sowing seeds at the moment for salad - no room for anything else in our tiny garden at home but it will help especially if salad produce becomes scarce if they cannot find people to pick it over here. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salad veg is great to grow at home if you can. You can even try growing lettuces, cherry toms, chives etc. in pots too if you a running short of space. Being able to pick salad greens, fresh from your garden, is such a satisfying and healthful thing to do. Happy gardening! Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Meg, our Farmers Market is being very strict where social distancing is concerned and hopefully it won't be shut down after that crowded one in Brisbane on Saturday hit the news. We can now also order online from the traders there and pick up a box of our orders in the car park. I have some seeds that have sprouted so now it is a battle to stop the grasshoppers and grubs from eating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to order online and pick up in the car park is a great way to still be able to get great produce from growers, Chel. I hope those pesky grasshoppers stay away from your seedlings. I hosed a few off my garden this morning! MegXx

      Delete
  6. Hi Meg, I joined a co-op a couple of months ago. Like you, we get a basket of fresh produce every two weeks. It's wonderful. I really appreciate it, especially now. They will bring it to my car for me. I am also growing as much in the garden as I can. The citrus trees are loaded, and I just planted celery that I had re-rooted from a base this afternoon. The herbs have come back, and I am growing cilantro from seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a member of a co-op is a wonderful way to get your additional fruit & veg, Stephanie. It sounds like it works really well for you. MegXx

      Delete
  7. Everything in your gardens looks so fresh and healthy. And a very nice ordered-box full of veggies and fruit and your eggs! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy with my box of fruit and veg, Andrea. It's lovely produce and I was glad to get some eggs as they are one thing that can disappear from shelves at the moment. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. The produce box looks lovely.
    I am growing seedlings of various "come again" vegies and cherry tomatoes in polystyrene boxes on the deck, so at night the cafe blinds come down and keep out possums and keep the area warm overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have a good little growing system there, Margaret. A clever way to keep those possums away from your plants too! Meg:)

      Delete
  9. Meg your veges growing look really healthy, you obviously have green thumbs. We're still living from our garden and freezers. This is our fifth week and haven't been near a shop as yet. The trading economy is going well here too as long as we can continue trading milk, honey and eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you are able to trade within your community, Sally. Milk, honey and eggs sound like lovely produce to swap. It's something I really miss being able to do with old neighbour. MegXx

      Delete
  10. Your veg. box sounds a good idea. I will do a search for our area and see what I can find. We do have a good Fruit & Veg shop nearby that has mostly locally grown, but I am not keen to go out these days. I have tried growing tomatoes but they have not done well, the weather has been too hot during summer but I do grow herbs which do well. I am growing flowers this year as I think I might need some cheering up later on in winter. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have planted some flowers too, Rosie. Little violas and dwarf sweet peas in pots. Flowers blooming later in the season is something to look forward to. Take care! MegXx

      Delete
  11. I'm very fortunate that I can drive 10 or 15 minutes in any direction and I'll come across a roadside stall, packed full of local goodness, and with an honesty box. Sometimes it's just me with the stall to myself, or if someone there, I'll just stand back and wait. I 'm waiting on seeds to come up and will be so happy to have my own bits and pieces to pick, but in the meantime it's good to take a little drive with Mirrhi (dog) and support a local farmer. I love that you've already decided what to cook with your bounty 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have roadside stalls to choose produce from, Nanette. It's a great way to find fresh fruits and vegetables and to support local farmers too. MegXx

      Delete
  12. We grow some of our own produce but the West of Scotland is not famed for its gentle climate and my favourites (cucumber, tomatoes) really need a greenhouse to do well. At the moment, or produce comes from the supermarket but we've had a fruit and veg box delivery for years. Of course the same climate applies to professional producers and a winter box can be really boring. More beet than anyone would ever like to eat :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have no idea how to garden in a really cold climate, Christina. Where I live, it's more the heat that tends to be a challenge in the later Spring and Summer months. You must look forward to those tomatoes and cucumbers when they become available. MegXx

      Delete
  13. Wish we had this option here.

    Getting a fruit and veg box is a great idea.

    Our markets are closed now so only choice for veg is at WW or Coles, IGA or Foodland. We do have a local fruit and veg shop, but I am not sure if they are still open or had to shut down because of the virus, I will have to find out. Other than that I will try and grow more food. We cant get seedlings at the moment and the seeds are getting low in supply.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found seeds difficult to source too, Tania. Lots of people planting out backyard veg patches now to be able to grow some of their own fresh food. I saw on your blog that you're expanding you food growing area which is great! Meg:)

      Delete
  14. That’s a very nice box of fresh fruits and veggies.

    Recently I ordered a box of organic produce online. Just to avoid going to the store. I have greens and some herbs in the garden.
    You are right. Nothing can beat homegrown vegetables. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to grow more produce here, Nil, but soil depth (or lack thereof) is an issue which I would need to seriously tackle to achieve that. I love picking fresh herbs from the garden as they are always so fragrant, flavoursome and it saves money too. MegXx

      Delete
  15. Your veg/fruit box looks wonderful, how lovely to have a locally grown pineapple! We have a veg/fruit box delivered here too, it is so good to get locally grown fresh veg and fruit every week. I shall be sowing seeds soon, hopefully this week, as the temperatures are slowly rising. We sometimes get frosts in May so I am always hesitant to start things too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pineapple was ripe and sweet:) Pineapples grow abundantly on farms just to the north of where I live. Rows and rows and rows of them. I have a pineapple growing in a pot, that I started from a pineapple top I saved, but it's not produced a fruit as yet. I hope the seeds you sow grow well as the weather warms. Happy gardening! MegXx

      Delete