Thursday 16 April 2020

So Many Butterflies

Flitting through the air around our garden and neighbourhood have been ever so many more butterflies.  These delicate insects are, as always, ever so hard to photograph with their fluttering wings and dizzying flight paths but, every so often, when they alight upon a favourite plant, they stay still just long enough to capture something of their beauty.

A beautiful Blue Tiger Butterfly.

Dozens of Blue Tiger Butterflies, with wings that remind me of stained glass cut-outs, are gathering around one heavenly-scented blossoming tree in the park. 

The female Common Eggfly on a mandarin leaf.

The Common Eggfly and the Orchard Swallowtail are favouring the lone mandarin in our garden. I spot them from our kitchen window as they weave in and out of the glossy green mandarin leaves.

The closed wings of the Common Crow butterfly.

In the warmth of the morning,  Common Crow butterflies flit and flutter around our star jasmine. We often see these butterflies in our garden.

The bright blue wings of a Blue Triangle Butterfly

Flashes of the most exquisite bright blue signal the flight of the  Blue Triangle Butterfly. They seem to like the salvias in our garden. Even when these butterflies are feeding, their wings constantly vibrate so they are rarely still.

A little butterfly bag.

These butterflies, and others of their fluttering kind, bring such a sense of delight and wonder at just how beautiful and perfect nature can be. I even discovered a butterfly, stitched in purples, on a piece of vintage linen. So many butterflies!

Meg




17 comments:

  1. Meg, we also have hundreds of Blue Tiger butterflies in our garden. They love the dahlias. I don't think I have seen so many for ages.That embroidery is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen as many Blue Tigers before either, Chel. I have read that they are a tropical butterfly and that they migrate south from Far North Qld in Spring and Summer. Meg:)

      Delete
  2. Just beautiful aren't they? They really do lift ones spirit! We dont have a great many butterflies in Tassie although we do have a lot of Cabbage Whites due to all the winter brassicas grown here! And your wee bags are delightful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful, Evi. I love to watch them fluttering around the garden as they simply make me happy. I can imagine that Cabbage Whites love Tassie produce! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful butterflies and bag! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On our walk through the park this morning, Andrea, we saw five different types of butterflies all feeding on one flowering tree. So very pretty! Meg:)

      Delete
  4. I've noticed a lot of butterflies around at the moment too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to see them in the garden, Kathy, but there are many more around at the moment which is even lovelier. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Isn't Mother Nature incredible. I love to see butterflies and can't wait for my Buddleia to flower. It will very quickly attract dozens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Buddleia flowers, Cherie. I did have several in our garden here but none remain unfortunately. Butterflies do love them! Meg:)

      Delete
  6. I love the photos of your butterflies. We have more around here than I remember other years, not sure why. I have tried to photograph them but have not succeeded so I am happy that you managed to capture them, especially the blue one - very beautiful. I think you must have a lot of patience. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering if there are more around because of the rain and heat of late Summer here, Rosie. It's wonderful to see so many. Meg:)

      Delete
  7. I have been watching the Blue Tiger butterflies in our garden this week too. We also have honey bees in the garden again, they have been absent for a long time, perhaps because of the fires and the drought. Oh and the dragon flies are active too, it always makes me happy to see them flying about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful that the bees have returned to your garden, Sherri. I think a garden isn't quite the same without bees buzzing about in it. Fires and drought would've been tough for them indeed. With butterflies, bees and dragonflies too, it sounds like nature in your area is recovering. MegXx

      Delete
  8. I have noticed a lot of butterflies here. I think they may have hatched out in the veggie patch because that is where most of them are. My silver beet has some kind of worm infestation, so maybe related to all the butterflies. We have the brown and orange wanderers and white and black pine white butterflies. They are lovely to watch fluttering about.

    I sense a butterfly theme in your posts :-) Such beautiful creatures.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous butterflies you have, they are so difficult to photograph aren't they! It hasn't quite warmed up enough to see many round here but they are slowly starting to appear. I do love to watch them fluttering around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The butterflies are gorgeous and your photographs capture them beautifully. I can never manage to find one keeping still for long enough to get a picture, even though I'm sure there's more than usual around just now. X

    ReplyDelete