Sunday 20 September 2020

Cinnamon Scrolls or Perhaps Scones

I woke up early and just felt like cinnamon scrolls.  Maybe it was because it was a weekend or maybe it was the beginning of the school holidays that swayed me away from our usual porridge or omelettes and toast. Most likely though, it was the thought of a warm scroll filled with tart apple, crunchy walnuts and the distinctive scent of cinnamon. I didn't want to fuss around with yeast and waiting though so cinnamon scrolls became cinnamon scones. Just as swirly and delicious!

Freshly baked cinnamon scones.

I gathered the ingredients, with a nod to this Thermomix recipe, decided I'd add chopped apple and walnuts too and more cinnamon, and set about making them while the day warmed up.

The makings of cinnamon scones.

While I made these cinnamon scrolls scones this time, I think I much prefer The Organised Housewife's version, for The Most Delicious Cinnamon Scrolls which doesn't require yeast either (or a Thermomix) and which uses thickened cream instead of milk in the dough. 

A sweet, crunchy and cinnamon-y filling.

While cinnamon scrolls often have an icing drizzled over their tops, I felt more like an apple and walnut filling to go with my cinnamon-y swirls instead. Apples and cinnamon always go together, don't they?!

Rolled & sliced and ready for the oven.

As they baked, the warm scent of cinnamon wafting through the kitchen, I waited impatiently and thought it may well have been quicker and easier to pop down to the little local bakery and buy a cinnamon scone scroll, one made with yeast and with icing on top, but then my kitchen wouldn't smell as nice and there probably wouldn't be apples and walnuts in such a scroll and I wouldn't have looked forward to it half as much!

Meg





















18 comments:

  1. Your cinnamon scrolls look delicious! Apples are a good addition! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look very yummy. Unfortunately I’m trying to not bake so much as I’m get what I loving call iso arse lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bake a couple of things each Sunday, Angela, but I don't have to worry about indulging too much as I have a rapidly growing teenage son who tends to hoover up everything in sight. I'll go to have a nibble on something and there won't be anything left! MegXx

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious, I can almost smell them from here.
    Did you know that 4th October is National Cinnamon Bun day in some Scandinavian countries?....another batch could be on the horizon .😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll need much of an excuse to make another batch of these, Margaret. National Cinnamon Bun Day sounds just the right reason to me. MegXx

      Delete
  4. I'm sure they tasted great...enjoy the school holidays...what a year it has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all enjoyed these scones, Kathy. Something a bit different. Usually, I bake pumpkin scones. I hope you enjoy the school holidays too. We are going to the beach for a few days, not too far a drive from here. It has indeed been a surreal year and one of hardship for lots of people so I feel really grateful that we can do this at this time. MegXx

      Delete
  5. Hi Meg,

    it was a very nice surprise to see your post today.

    The 'scrones' (maybe a new term for your creation?🤔) look yummy. Your kitchen would have smelled very enticing. I love your additions of apple and walnut.

    When I make sourdough fruit scrolls I add apple and cinnamon or sometimes apple, rhubarb, orange zest and vanilla extract. I have a slight obsession with sourdough so I convert any yeast raised baking item to one that uses my starter.

    Scones are so simple to make with just a few ingredients but they are one of my favourites for afternoon tea. A cup of tea and a scone with home-made jam and cream are very hard to beat.

    Enjoy the school holidays and take care, Maria xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think homemade scones with jam and cream are very hard to beat too, Maria. I'm not sure afternoon tea gets better than that! I love rhubarb just about as much as I love apple so your fruit scrolls sound delicious. I wouldn't know where to even begin with sourdough and I tend to avoid anything requiring yeast as I've had more flops than successes. Perhaps I should practise during these holidays with breads more.
      Take care, dear Maria.
      MegXx

      Delete
  6. Meg, good for you for being so energetic 🙂 I am sure your family was thrilled. My brekky is usually much the same every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made a lovely breakfast, warm and delicious. A bit of a treat so they were all eaten up pretty quickly. MegXx

      Delete
  7. Oh my! They look delicious. I might just have to bake something like these at the weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are perfect for relaxed weekend baking, Jules. Without a need to rush off to work, there's time to breathe in their warm, spiced scent as they bake and then all that delicious goodness when they are ready to eat. Enjoy!
      MegXx

      Delete
  8. They sounds delicious and yummy, nothing beats the combination of apple and cinnamon does it and it smells divine whilst cooking xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I adore apple and cinnamon. They are a match made in heaven!
      MegXx

      Delete
  9. I've only made yeasted cinnamon rolls once, and they were amazing! I used homegrown oranges for the icing. Yours look healthy and delicious! I'm sure your kitchen smelled like a bakery...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try the yeasted version of scrolls one day, Stephanie. I think that would be a very versatile recipe where you could do all kinds of fillings for the swirls. Orange icing would be lovely too.
      MegXx

      Delete