Thursday 3 September 2020

Very Early Spring in our Garden

Warm breezes and a different quality to afternoon's light signal a change to Spring here in our subtropical home. Although the nights have still been cool, a sense of the season turning came earlier again this year than the flipping of our calender's page to September. It is a glorious time of year here which I relish before the heat of Summer takes hold. 

Out in the garden, green-tipped new growth abounds and more and more flowers are coming into bud and bloom. The mandarin tree is covered in promising white blossoms, purple lavender spires scent the air, plump mulberries are ripening and delicious, the passionfruit  in a pot is sending out its first tendrils and the veg patch waits, under a blanket of mulch, for new plantings. 

Creamy petals and a tinge of pink on a salvia's bloom.

Ripening mulberries on our little tree.

Little native raspberries beginning to form too.

The intriguing bloom of an iris.

A mass of perfumed lavender blooms.

White blossoms on our mandarin tree.

Early growth on our new passionfruit vine.

Chocolate Cosmos has a chocolate-y scent!

This Spring, I plan on adding even more salvias to the garden, with plants gifted to me by a new gardening friend, along with different varieties of cosmos. Packets of Cosmos 'Picotee' and Cosmos 'Sensation' seeds have arrived. I ordered my seeds from Green Harvest, an Australian organic seed supplier based up in the Hinterland not too far a drive from here. (I am not affiliated with Green Harvest in any way; I just like to buy my seeds from them.) 

There's so much to look forward to in our garden this Spring! I'd love to know what you are planning to grow as the season changes where you are in the world.

Meg



 











13 comments:

  1. Your lavender looks very pretty and I've ordered seeds from Green Harvest too they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What seeds did you choose, Kathy? Flowers or veg? I am late to get things ready for Spring in garden here so have quite a bit of gardening work to do. I'm loving the lavender; I can see it from my kitchen window. It's always got lots of bees buzzing around its flowers.

    MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photographs. It is the opposite here, as autumn is beginning to creep slowly in. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you've enjoyed some lovely Summer days, Jules. Our Summers are very hot and so I love the seasons when the weather is milder. MegXx

      Delete
  4. Meg, I bought some veggie seeds from Green Harvest a few weeks ago. Just have to make sure we don't get a late frost though before planting them although it is quite warm already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chance of frost here, Chel. I just have a lot to do in the garden before it gets hotter. MegXx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! What a wonderful spring you are having in your gardens. I have some red salvia and there is a hummingbird that loves it! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little birds here love salvias too, Andrea. Bees love the flowers too. MegXx

      Delete
  6. Your garden is beautiful. When you are getting ready for spring gardening, I’m planning for winter. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot to do in the garden, Nil. I neglected it somewhat over Winter but Spring always holds such promise and this year I want to grow more flowers. What are you.going to plant for Winter? MegXx

      Delete
  7. How exciting, Meg! I had never heard of Chocolate Cosmos. My magenta ones are in bloom here in California right now. I love seeing all that you're growing. The berries are so enticing...maybe I will buy a mulberry tree and some berry bushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mulberries are such a special treat; picking and eating them remind me of childhhood mulberry feasts. Cosmos are such wonderful flowers. The chocolate cosmos is a bit different in colour and scent. Your garden will be looking lovely woth your cosmos in bloom, Stephanie.
      MegXx

      Delete
  8. We too are heading for Autumn here, most things are dying off. I have sowed some winter lettuces and hope that my brassicas continue to grow until it gets really cold and they go dormant.

    Your early spring garden looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete