Sweet, salty, nutty, homemade caramelly popcorn. A most moreish snack. It was so yummy, in fact, that it was impossible to photograph in any kind of stylish way because it was gobbled up so quickly. Popcorn elves!
A most moreish snack.
I tinkered just a little with this recipe, for a Salted Caramel Rocky Road Popcorn, from Jemma over at The Healthy Journey, to get a more simplified version to work in with what I had in my pantry.
*not suitable for those with nut allergy*
6 cups freshly popped popcorn
4 Tablespoons coconut oil
4 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 Tablespoons crunchy peanut butter (or smooth if you prefer)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Place freshly popped popcorn in a large bowl.
2. Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan.
3. Add maple syrup, peanut butter and salt.
4. Combine over a low heat until blended into a smooth caramelly sauce.
Little crunchy peanut pieces in caramelly sauce
because I used crunchy peanut butter.
5. Pour sauce over freshly popped popcorn.
6. Mix until popcorn is coated evenly with caramelly sauce.
7. Spread out evenly on a lined tray and place in freezer until set.
(This doesn't take very long!)
8. Remove from freezer once set. Break into small clusters and keep in airtight container
in the fridge.
* Keep a close eye on it because it will otherwise disappear.*