Monday 27 November 2017

An Indulgent High Tea for Three

In the expansive grounds of the historic Sydney home, Vaucluse House, there are lovely tearooms where one can enjoy an old-world "high tea" just perfect for special occasions. Spending time with two of my oldest and closest friends on a weekend get-together in Sydney, a rare occasion and a treasured time, was all the excuse we three needed to indulge ourselves. 

Together with glasses of bubbles, to toast our long-lasting friendship (of course;)  and pots of warming teas, we relaxed and reminisced as we sampled each tiny treat of our high tea. One of everything and two scones!

Tiers of indulgent treats for our special high tea.


The tearooms were built in the 1930s.

 Beautifully laid tables inside the tearooms.

The tempting menu and a pretty teacup.

Something savoury ... a tiny & perfect pumpkin tart.
(My favourite!)

Somethings sweet!
(I would recommend the little doughnuts with elderflower cheesecake filling.)

We oohed and aahed as we tried each little treat from our tiered cake stand. Unhurried and happy! My friends expressed similar delight at their pots of spiced and flowery teas. While I am not normally a tea drinker, I sipped a marsala chai and quite liked its cinnamony notes. 

Just a few crumbs left!

After such a delicious time, a long walk was in order, if for no other reason than to assuage the surprise at having eaten so much. Hence, we set off for a long and leisurely stroll around Vaucluse House and its beautiful grounds. Those photos another time ...

Meg



10 comments:

  1. Seeing those empty plates made me smile. You had the perfect environment, delicate food, delicate teacups and wonderful company. Yep, I think I could settle down all day like that.
    I’ve been ooohing and aaaaahing too over your photos.
    Sounds like such a fantastic weekend for three close friends. Simply wonderful xx.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all together very rarely, Kylie, as we live our lives far from one another, so when we do catch up it is such a joy and celebration of enduring friendship. The perfect reason for a few indulgences such as this high tea. I have not actually had "high tea" before and that's a good thing as I'm sure my hips would expand to untold limits should such an indulgence be a regular thing! Meg Xx

      Delete
  2. How delicious looking, yum, and I love the blue and white china :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted as delicious as it looked! The tables were set so beautifully, with the blue and white china and blue delphiniums in the vases too. Meg:)

      Delete
  3. I used to love going to a high tea. What a beautiful historical location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real treat, Kathy. The tearooms, main house and the grounds were just gorgeous. I'm working on posts about the house and the grounds to show everyone later in the week. I just adore historic homes and that insight into another time that they offer. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Just wonderful, darling Meg, high tea is something very special indeed and to share it with wonderful friends is even more special. Have a lovely evening,
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, Fiona. A special treat to be with my friends and to enjoy such delicious little treats. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post. That's a beautiful location. I look forward to reading the upcoming articles. The baked treats look delicious! Such attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was lovely having high tea and wandering through the main house and the gardens with my friends. Meg:)

      Delete