Friday 6 July 2018

Simple Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding

Winter, the season for pudding! Warm and delicious and homemade pudding. A self-saucing pudding is one where the layers of the pudding, the cake and the sauce, separate as the pudding cooks. The cakey part rises to the top while the sauce thickens underneath. I just love that, while baking in the oven, an amazing alchemy happens that turns some simple, basic ingredients into something so sublime!


Chocolate cake on top and a sweet sauce underneath.

This simple recipe, from well-known chef and Masterchef judge, Matt Preston, is apparently based on one found in an old cookbook. It's an oldie but a goodie!  Here are the basic steps:


Sift dry ingredients. 
(In this recipe all of the flour and half each of the sugar and cocoa.) 

Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. 

Fold in gently to form chocolatey batter.

Sprinkle sugar and cocoa mix onto the top of the batter.

Pour boiling water carefully and gently over the top.
(I pour it very slowly over the back of a spoon.)

Bake in the oven.





Warm pudding and homemade ice-cream. Sublime!


A generous spoonful of chocolate self-saucing pudding, with its soft chocolate "cake" on top and its oozy chocolate sauce underneath, together with a dollop of fresh, thick cream or a scoop of vanilla ice-cream is just about as good as Winter gets. ❆

Have a lovely weekend.

Meg

p.s. Cheryl over at A Simply Good Life posted a recipe for a Lemony Self Saucing Pudding recently.  Such sweet temptations!





15 comments:

  1. I love self saucing puddings, and I often make a chocolate one too, it's a very simple recipe like the one you describe, that warm chocolate and cold ice cream combo is just about perfection in my books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Warm pudding and ice-cream are a match made in heaven! Meg:)

      Delete
  2. I used to make self saucing puddings when the children were growing up and we ate desserts occasionally. They were certainly yummy with ice cream. Yours looks delicious as a winter treat, Meg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum made them for us when we were small too, Chel. There's something so warm and comforting about pudding! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. I never buy packet cake mixes however the Greens Self Saucing puddings were on sale for $1.40 so I picked up 3 boxes for the school holidays. We had the Butterscotch last night with ice cream which was delicious. I might give this recipe a try too. We usually have yoghurt for dessert so actual pudding and ice cream is a bit of a treat for the school holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a sweet, rich dessert, Kathy. Definitely best as a special treat. I made it when my son had friends for a sleepover. Meg☺

      Delete
  4. That looks incredible, Meg. It's making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made one of these for a friend's 50th birthday dinner. Much too sweet for me but she loved it and was happy to take the left overs home...which she naughtily told me she had for breakfast! I've made Cheryl's lemon one which was delicious and and much more to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, having it for breakfast would be very naughty, Nanette. It is a very sweet dessert.🍰 Meg

      Delete
  6. We made this tonight for dinner.........sooooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always called that "lava cake" when I was a young adult. I haven't hat it for years. It looks so yummy. I always change everything to gluten-free, but I'm sure it could be made easily with gluten-free flour. Ice cream has been on sale lately........Now, I'm getting hungry for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes perfectly with ice-cream, Becky. I think you could try it with gluten-free flour too. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. This is one of our favorite desserts. I used to make it a lot when the kids were growing up.

    ReplyDelete