On a Sunday, I bake lunchbox snacks for the school and working week ahead. This saves us money and time as we are not buying prepackaged snacks and popping a slice of homemade cake or chunky cookies into a lunchbox is very quick and easy of a weekday morning when everyone is trying to get to where they need to be on time.
Chocolate cookies with chocolate chips!
Recently, I came across a recipe for a scrumptious version of chocolate cookies. They are flourless and include almond meal. (My son can now take foods with nuts in them to high school whereas his primary school had a no nuts policy.) The nuts in them make them unsuitable for those with an allergy to nuts.
The original recipe, which I have tinkered with very minimally, comes from Amanda at Running with Spoons. I simply reduced the sugar content a little more and used dark chocolate chips rather than mint chocolate chips. There are very simple cookies to make:
Chocolate & Oat Cookies
*Unsuitable for those with a nut allergy.*
1 cup organic quick oats
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 Tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 large or 2 small eggs
3 Tablespoons coconut oil (melted if it is not in liquid state)
1/4 cup of tiny, dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line a large baking tray.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients, except the chocolate chips, together in a large bowl.
3. Add the coconut oil and beaten egg to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
4. Mix in the chocolate chips.
5. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls, placing onto baking tray so there is room for them
to spread. Flatten top of each one slightly with your fingers.
6. Bake for approximately 10mins (but keep an eye on them as they may cook faster in
7. Allow to cool for 10mins on tray before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
8. Store in an airtight container (I put them in the fridge) for up to a week.
A chocolatey bowl!
These cookies are very chocolatey but not overly sweet. A more wholesome take on a chocolate cookie that is simple and delicious.
Do you have a favourite recipe for chocolate cookies?