Friday 1 November 2019

Comforting Caramel Puddings

Puddings like these, which make their own sauce as they bake, are among my favourites. With a soft, cakey top and a sweet sauce that thickens and bubbles away underneath, they are warm, gooey and comfortingly delicious. Served with a dollop of naturally thick cream and they are even better!

Mmm ... sweet self-saucing caramel puddings. 

I made this version of a caramel self-saucing pudding for the first time recently. I followed Donna Hay's recipe but reduced the amount of sugar, in both the cake and the sauce, to lessen the sweetness somewhat. I also used spelt flour instead of plain flour as that is what I generally cook with. They still turned out beautifully!  Here's the recipe with my adjustments:


Self-Saucing Caramel Puddings
** not suitable for those with a nut allergy**

Cake Mix:
75g melted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup almond meal 
1 cup white spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sauce:
50g butter
1 cup  brown sugar
1 1/2 cups water

1.  Preheat oven to 160C and lightly grease 6 x 250ml capacity ramekins.

2.  Make the sauce by putting butter, brown sugar and water into a saucepan. Stir over a 
     medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool while you 
     make the cake batter.

3.  Place all the cake mix ingredients into a large bowl and mix until well combined.

4.  Spoon cake mixture evenly into the six ramekins.

5.  Pour the caramel sauce over the top of each pudding (I transferred the sauce to a 
     heatproof jug and poured it very slowly over the back of a spoon and onto the top of each
     pudding.)

6.  Bake for 30mins.

7.  Allow puddings to stand, for at least 5-10minutes, to allow sauce time to thicken more.

8.  Serve with a big dollop of the freshest, thickest cream you can find:) 

While we've had some hot Summer-like days already this Spring, many nights have still been cooler so perfect for a warm and comforting pudding like this one. Its nutty sweetness and gooey sauce will see you scraping every last little bit you can out from your own little ramekin.

Have a lovely weekend!
Meg

p.s. I found my little ramekins at the local op-shop. The set cost me just a few dollars and I think they are as sweet as this pudding.










22 comments:

  1. Meg, I just donated some ramekins like that to our Op Shop as I don't make desserts anymore like I used to do years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Op Shops are great for things like cookware and glasses, Chel.
      Meg:)

      Delete
  2. Your baking looks delicious. I love the little baking cups, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you can make individual serves in the little ramekins, Stephenie. Just enough for one! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. They look great and I'm sure they tasted great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious, Kathy. I might make them again this weekend if the cool weather and showers continue. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Ooh they look and sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste as good as they look and are quite easy to make. The almond meal gives them a nutty flavour. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Your gardens look so fresh and pretty...and your baking..yum. Such a cute dog! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had more rain here yesterday, Andrea, with some heavy showers during the day. It makes such a difference to the garden. I planted a new salvia and rose geraniums that I struck from cuttings too. Meg:)

      Delete
  6. A delicious indulgence on a damp cool day Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect pudding for days like that, Nanette.
      MegXx

      Delete
  7. It looks delicious, Meg.
    I love making pudding in individual ramekins. One advantage is then I tend to eat less. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely good for portion control, Nil:D

      Delete
  8. Yummy! I love self-saucing puddings. I make the traditional chocolate one, and have recently discovered a butterscotch one. It uses golden syrup as well as brown sugar. It's getting a little warm for making self-saucing puddings now, but I can still admire yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A butterscotch pudding sounds delicious, Chris. We had some cooler, showery days over the weekend and are hoping the forecast storm comes through this afternoon. Set to get very hot later in the week; definitely won't be making puddings then! Meg:)

      Delete
  9. I have to try these, they look delicious. It's so good to see you back here. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you really enjoy them, Jules. They are easy to make and taste delicious, especially with cream. MegXx

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a very nice winter pudding. Just what we will need in the coming months

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect for Winter, Cherie. They are very warming and comforting when it's cold outside. Meg:)

      Delete
  11. These look incredible and I love the idea of individual ones. Rachel and I are caramel fiends so we would polish these off pretty quickly I think. I'd have to do chocolate for Michael as that's all he'll eat! Hubby will eat anything :) xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you might need to make caramel and chocolate puddings, Susan. All round happiness! Meg:)

      Delete