Monday 15 June 2020

Some Simple Savings

The simple savings we make here don't usually come via a flashy sale with price tags advertising huge discounts. Instead, they tend to reveal themselves in the everyday things we do over and again. These are some of the little savings we've made of late by making, growing, reusing, mending and finding our own:


This plant, grown from a cutting I brought home from my Mum's garden, has filled out its hanging basket. Both the wire hanging basket and its liner were 'rescued' from my stash of old pots that I keep on a table under our house. I am not sure what this plant is called but it has pretty tangerine bell-shaped flowers. A free plant from my Mum's place that's now growing here too.


I stamped a plain piece of brown paper, which came wrapped around a little bunch of flowers I received, with tiny flower heads. I added it to my ''saved" gift wrap along with this silver and black piece that came with flowers too. I think both will look lovely once re-used and tied with black ribbons.


A large dish of lasagne was baked to share as a meal with friends. I used grated zucchini and carrot and pumpkin to add to the very small amount of meat I had to make the filling. I sprinkled the creamy sauce on top with a little parmesan cheese and baked it until golden.  I served it with steamed veg. Warm and chocolatey prune muffins, from a recipe I found in a Grass Roots magazine, with homemade vanilla ice-cream, made a lovely dessert too. As we were feeding two extra hungry teenage boys, this homemade meal saved us quite a bit as I'm sure you can all imagine just how many takeaway pizzas growing boys can eat!


Little harvests from the garden are finding their way into lots of our meals. There are handfuls of crunchy snow peas for stir fries, juicy yellow tomatoes for salads that are also lovely and sweet when roasted. I've made two Silverbeet Impossible Pies now, with silverbeet and spring onion and parsley from the garden, which is just delicious hot or cold, for lunch or for dinner. The little limes, from a tree that I walk past almost every day while out with Sir Steve dog, are destined to become lime curd to dollop onto our homemade scones. At one of the big supermarkets, limes are 72c each. These were foraged and free!

 
One of my favourite op-shops is open again now and I found this black button-up cardigan amongst the racks of clothes. It cost me just a few dollars. I will get a lot of wear out of it because it's lightweight and thus perfect for our mild sub-tropical Winters. I also mended one of my son's favourite t-shirts to extend its life a little longer. 

Making things last that bit longer, reusing what we already have, growing and making our own, buying second hand and keeping an eye out for that which is free or a good bargain saves a little here and there which, over time, adds up to dollars and cents not spent but saved.

Meg


16 comments:

  1. That's true, Meg. I completely agree. There are always plenty of small projects to get done around the home. I like to darn my hand knit socks, too. Your food looks just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. There are lots of little ways to save money doing and making things ourselves at home and never a shortage of little projects to do. I wasn't sure if my darning stitches would hold on the t-shirt as the material is so stretchy but it seems to have worked. MegXx

      Delete
  2. Yes it is those little things that are so satisfying. My own rainbow chard went into a lovely pie with feta and filo pastry this week. It needed nearly a kilo of leaves! I also darned a jumper this week..my first time darning in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your pie sounds delicious, EMW. I think things always taste amazing when we grow them ourselves and use them to make homemade meals. MegXx

      Delete
  3. Meg, our silverbeet has gone crazy since the rain at the weekend. It is pushing against the veggienet so I must make some pies too. Limes are expensive here too so being able to pick up free ones is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend pies, Chel!
      Meg:D

      Delete
  4. I think it feels very satisfying to make use of things we already have or can make. I have planted some veg. and flowers this year and my husband made a raised bed for me so I am looking forward to some home grown meals now, but they will take a while before I can harvest. I did pick some lettuce leaves to add to my lunch today and that was a first for me. I have not had success in the past with veg. but now the raised bed is positioned where it gets some winter sun so that should help. I always make lasagne for my grandchildren and use more veg. than meat and they love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie. I think making the most of what we have and what we can grow is a really satisfying way to live. Having homegrown produce to look forward to is wonderful. Positioning your raised bed where it gets some Winter sun should definitely help. I'm currently experimenting with what I can grow in a bed that only gets afternoon sun. MegXx

      Delete
  5. And all of those small savings add up to make a very rich and abundant life:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely, Jo! I am enjoying your Green and Thrifty posts on your blog too. MegXx

      Delete
  6. I missed your blog post in my feed today and I just realized you posted. I agree making little savings along the way can add up to a huge amount of $$ over the year and getting satisfaction from stretching the $$ is a great game to play with yourself. I just sold our ping pong table that we only use twice a year and bought the 3 of us Kmart hiking [aka bush walking] boots for the holidays and beyond. I love going on bush walk with the kids however sand shoes don't grip that well and I have been known to slip and fall over as a result. So I replaced something that was taking up room in the garage which gets used twice a year for something we can all use over and over again and I had $10 spare left over. I like swapping something that doesn't get used for something you will use too...it makes you feel good when you get better value out of something too. Have a great week. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you will get a lot more use out of your new hiking boots than the ping pong table, Kathy. It really does pay (and save) to look at what we use and make use of and what we don't. I hope you have a lovely week too. MegXx

      Delete
  7. Great savings, Meg! Those little savings really add up.

    Last year I bought a black cardigan similar to yours from a thrift store for $3. I miss going to thrift stores now. I hope they will be open soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my new-to-me cardigan, Nil. I've already worn it twice! I hope your thrift stores can re-open soon as it's too expensive (for our wallets and our planet) to have to buy new all the time. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. I love posts like this Meg. You are right there are so many small savings we can be making that all add up. It is inspiring to read how others do it, sharing is a good way to be inspired to do them yourself or to pick up new ideas that you perhaps hadn't thought of before. I love that you can forage for limes that wouldn't happen round here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to read about how other people save money too. People can be really thrifty and creative. Free limes are wonderful! The lime tree I walk past is laden with fruit this year. I imagine that it's too cold to grow limes where you live. Do you have other foods that you can forage? Meg:)

      Delete