Friday 17 June 2016

Simple Quinoa Biscuits

Feel like a wholesome and delicious treat for morning tea? These simple biscuits, made with quinoa flakes instead of rolled oats, are golden and gluten-free rounds of goodness. 

Mmmm ... 

The recipe, developed by Emma Galloway of the hugely popular blog, My Darling Lemon Thyme, results in a biscuit that is not quite an ANZAC biscuit, in the Australian tradition of those made with rolled oats, but is still nostalgic, chewy and wholesome. They taste delicious without any of the refined sugars and additives found in many supermarket biscuit brands.  (I did find quinoa flakes at the supermarket however!)

I "tinkered" with Emma's recipe for Quinoa Anzacs very minimally. Instead of 1cup of raw sugar, I used 1/2 cup of coconut sugar. I increased the amount of coconut to 1 cup just to make up  for the loss of the half cup of sugar. I didn't want to adjust the amount of brown rice flour or quinoa flour as I don't often cook with them and wasn't sure what results I might end up with. 

The biscuits that emerged from my oven were golden and sweet. We enjoyed them with a glass of cold milk but you may prefer to sample them with a cup of tea or coffee. A little different but definitely worth baking again!

Enjoy your weekend. Maybe you'll have time to do some baking of your own.

Meg











2 comments:

  1. I have never seen quinoa flakes for sale here. I shall have to have a good look next time I shop as these sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them in the health food section at the local supermarket. They were on special which is why I bought them...that and I had this recipe waiting in the wings!

      Delete